Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.6 DURAMAX in 90K5?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Mar 23, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Just a far fetched possibility but how about a 6.6 Duramax in a 90K5???

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

That would be way cool, but i think a waste of a Duramax.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I still dream of one day having a 5.9 Cummins ISB in a 1984 Suburban with D60 and 14bff, backed by a NV5600 tranny and a ORD doubler /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif again far-fetched but would be fun as all get out...

Chirs

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

There was an article in one of the big mags about a snow run they did....One of the trucks was a "burb with a Cummins turbo. I'll see if I can find that particular issue. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Dude..... you just missed one.... There was one in the paper here a few months ago.... Our year 3/4 Suburban, 5.9 Cummins and a 4L80E trans. Wanna say it was like $15,000 or something.... It was way cool

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Kidjethro...
    Ya I saw that issue... Pretty sweet rig..
    Tori...15,000,huh? kinda rich...what year burb was it?

I have a friend in HS who had a 1984 3/4 ton burban with a 502 in it and a 4L80E, a 8 inch lift and 39.5's Damn that thing was FAST...If I could get my hands on a cummins ISB adn NV4500 cheap, I'd probably do that to the K20 I am getting...still, once you drive a bombed cummins, esp. one with a manual tranny, you will fnally understand how AWESOME torque is...my rommie is going to ante up and get som DDII injectors for his cummins and get his box reprogramed...that thing is gonna FLY...

Chris

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I was dreaming about a Duramax for my '74. Why would it be a waste of a Duramax? Unfortunately they don't make trucks like they used to, that's why I own a '74.

8. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i would KILL to have a duramax in my 86 k30.... but its never gonna happen due to high cost and the fact that i have yet to see a take-out dmax engine for sale. So its gonna be a cummins for me!

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have a friend in Auburn,AL who has a sweet '72 K5. Last I heard from him he had a wrecked 3/4ton GMC HD with the 8.0L engine. He said the year he was swapping the engine,tranny,xcase and fornt suspension over to his K5. WIll deff let you know next time I talk to him.

10. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

we have replaced 3 duramax's at the dealership I work at and 1 allison tranny. those things are @$@$%#@$ expensive. gm price on teh engine was 12000 and the tranny was 9000. but man are those trucks a blast to drive, personally i would opt for the manual with the duramax.

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I talked to my Mechanic Bud a few months ago about the same thing. He thinks it would require extensive firewall mods cuz of the size. Looks like it would fit to me tho.... My cousin has 2 Duramax's and I spend lotsa time under the hood looking /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Love the power! But one of his trucks has been in the shop more than out....

12. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm s pretty gib diesel fan, but I'm not sold them for all off road uses, they just don't have the RPM range. I doubt you would notice rock crawling or on the highway, but when you need wheel speed right now in sand or something, that 2k powerband just doesn't cut it. My friend with a 2001 cummins HO is finding this out. An auto might combat this problem though...

13. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

I don't know if it'll fit. Probably with a little help from my friend the 10lb sledge hammer. Those duramax's are huge. I think it'll be a little tight

14. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i don't see why it wouldn't fit? its only 6.6 liters so it can't be that much bigger than a 6.2/6.5, and the duramax is light too (relatively speaking) 850# compared to a cummins 1050#. Its a GM engine so wouldn't it just bolt in with the same engine mounts and trans bolts (at least its that easy with the 6.2/6.5 conversions to gas)?

just my .02 worth

15. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is why one of us needs to do it.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Will you all fund my R&D if I do it - LOL

16. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

the duramax won't bolt up to just any tranny, it was built to work with the allsion only because it was the only tranny around that could handle the power, I am very interested in doing the same swapp if possible I will try and remember the engine when I get to work tomorrow. The engines are not perfect yet and they are very limited on supply of allisons so they are hard to find right know. I have 5 customers with the duramax and they have all had little quarks, one truck has had 1 engine and 2 trannys and he doesn't abuse it. the most common complaint I have heard is of a low end knock, gm says it is the oil popping in the main bearings. (B.S.) This next producation year they will be putting a detuned version in the yukon xl 3/4 ton models.

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

KickinAsphalt- The Duramax is made by Isuzu. Not GM unfortunatley.

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if i could do the 6.6 duramax and the allison trans with the doubler. YES i would go for it. but i have not wont the lotto in the past few months
    Grant

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

but add all the comp stuff and the intercooler and extra oil coolers and trans coolers and what not
    that is why it would require mods to fit.
    but if i had it sitting in front of me i would make it fit. no matter what i would have to do
    Grant

20. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

When I win the Powerball Jackpot I'l let you help me do the swap,/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.