Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Bolt Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer72, May 22, 2002.

1. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Well the new 60 in! with ARB, 4.10 and 6 bolt 1/2 ton bolt patern and brakes. Even have the rock ram in stalled. Very nice and yes it looks right even with the 15 inch wheels.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

What can I say besides I'm jealous. How did you manage to get a 14bolt 6lug? I have never seen or heard of one before besides the semi-floaters.

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: 6 Bolt Dana 60 *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by blazer72

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

bad ass. what do you think of the rock ram? i love it!!!

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just curious why you spent, as you say, lots of money to get a 6 bolt axle?

What for?

Ken H.

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

One ton brakes are not needed on a blazer, the cost is not really that much more one you add in the you have to change out the boster and master to make the stock 60 brakes work. The other good thing is that i did not have to buy 6 new wheels and tires.

4 wheels and tires 1100.00
    stock d 60 1200.00
    Brake mods 200.00

Total 2500.00

My way
    Dyantrack kit for 6 bolt 5.5 wheels 795.00
    D 600 from 1 ton duel rear wheels 800.00
    shipping 159.00

Total 1754.00
    SO I guessit was cheaper yes I know that the 44 and or wheels could be sold to low the cost any yes I did do this

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

True, they are not NEEDED, but since they are there for me, I dont want to take them off. Better more than not enough.

Since when do you have to do a couple hundred dollers of work to make the Dana 60 work? I dont think this is true at all.

IThe only reason I can see for doing this is to stop from having to buy new tires and rims. I understand that. But, not for that kind of price.

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The 60s caliper takes about 2 times the fluid movment than the 3/4 ton one and 2.3 times that of the 1/2 ton so even though you can get the 1/2 ton master to work you should change the master out to the one for a 1 ton which is a diffrent boster also.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Good to hear you got the project finished. Dont worry about what the people say on these boards. You have the money, you can do what you want! Now, lets go test this thing!

Dare to be different! Hell, I may just do the same and keep my 12 bolt in the rear! Im sure someone will have something to say about that! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

While we are on the subject of which is better 8 lug or 6 lug; 1 ton or 1/2 ton - Why not just go 2.5 ton Rockwells!!! Much cheaper than a D60/14bolt and they are indestructable.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's the mentality everyone here has. No parts are ever big or strong enough.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am with you
    big brakes are a neccesity with big tires
    I am not convinced the booster would have to be changed although the switch to hydra boost would be a good thing
    the 1/2 ton master seems to work perfectly with the bigger brakes. the pedal travel may differ but they seem to move enough fluid before running out of stroke to apply the brakes.
    a master with a larger bore is a bolt in and I doubt a rebuilt will run $200usd but maybe. well worth it to run huge brakes

more money then brains category
    spend extra to get less!

tires are wearing items so you will be buying new ones anyway and rims are cheap

12. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i'd like to see some pics of the new axles.you probably have alot of people scratching there heads when they see those bad boys.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I also recall that 3/4 and 1/2 ton calipers are the same
    have to ask tRusty again

14. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Hey that's a great idea to do the 6 bolt. Why? Because you can. Not needed, but it's cool to have. I'm the type that does things that aren't needed as well.

I'm the type that if I ran out of gas, I would push my truck to the gas station, buy cigarettes, and continue pushing my truck. Why? Because I can.

Keep up with the fancy mods. We love to hear about them.

15. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yea, if they don't like your axles, screw em! People always give me crap because I have more than $1200 into my 12 bolt and it still uses C-clips and is a one legger! But no one else has one like yours or mine (Not that I know of), everyone has a 14bolt 8 lug. It is good to see people pulling away from the pack and doing thier own thing. Congrats!

16. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: 6 Bolt Dana 60 *DELETED*

Post deleted by blazer72

17. numberone

numberone Newbie

I would not think that you would think that I would think that I would not think.........jigga what?

SPELL CHECK PLEASE!!!

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ken (Blazer72) is just basing his information on a recent swap done by K5BLT4FUN. Layne needed a new Master Cylinder in order to get proper braking after installing a D60.

The matter at hand here is posting about a mod he did and you guys are bashing him for doing it. I have a question for you guys. Why must you question a fellow K5er?

Lets all get on with it and go wheelin!

19. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Second That!!!

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I thing that is a great idea. I wanted to do that with mine before I ended up parting it out. There are so many people running 6 lug axles, that if you get more than one flat, its easy to borrow a tire from just about anybody and get home. When I rolled I blew the bead on two tires, and had only one spare. My buddy let me use his spare from his Jimmy and I was on my way out. If I was 3/4 or 1 ton I would of had to get towed out.

Dan