Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 cylinder Distributor ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, May 15, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bought a used HEI dist for my 70, to replace the points dist. Went to install it today, and the drive shaft for the oil pump is a bunch shorter, wont engage the oil pump. Did GM change the oil pumps lwhen they went to the HEI, or do I have the wrong distributor???? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Any chance you got a dist for an 8 cyl HEI instead?

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I thought about that. The stator only has 6 arms on it, and the cam gear drive is in the right place, the housing length from the mounting surface in, is the same as the old dist, so I am at a loss.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What did it come from??

Do you know what it came from??--If you bought it already removed,it might not be from a straight six,it could be a V-6 one from a 229 motor(I think the body of the distributor is identical to a small block on them,but the have only 6 teeth on the pickup/reluctor assembly...or it might be a buick 231 V-6 distributor!...get he numbers off the base just under the cap--should be a # like 1106053 or something like that--I can look it up and see what its really from!....I also have the HEI from my 79 C10's 250 six that blew last summer if you need it--it has an integral coil... :crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

bodies are same yes but yeah the pickup deal would nly have 6 points if its six cylinder one, like yours does

i have a dizzy out of a 74 250 and its 100 percent identical shaft and housing and gear to the v8 ones side by side no difference at all in any way

so you have one from something else, some kind of '75-up v-6 probably i dunno if they still had the 401 and such v-6 engines 75-up or not

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

looked at mine and...

The HEI I have off my 79 250 has an "extension" pinned onto the distributor shaft about 1-7/8 inches long that drives the oil pump--I never noticed before the 6 bangers had that thing,I thought the distributor plugged directly into the pump!...but I've had a LOT more V8 ones out than the sixes...

I didn't have a V8 one handy to compare to it,I find it hard to beleive its the same housing,but I guess anything is possible on a GM product--they did not like making too many different parts,and many are shared among other vehicles...

The roll pin that holds that shaft is very tiny!--does not look like it would take much to shear one off...

So--is this still a mystery??--DID gm change the 250 six distributors when they went to the "integral head" or the 2 bbl carb??... :confused: :crazy:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no v6 in 73-91 trucks, except the 2.8 and 4.3.