Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 cylinder engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, Jan 10, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

First post disappeared. My new 80 Blazer has a 6 cylinder and I'm going to be changing to a V-8. I have the engine and exhaust taken care of. What else might I need? I'm thinking frame mounts for the motor.
    Anyone done this or can maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Bryan

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I believe you will need a 7 blade fan instead of the 4blade that sixes come with.
    You will need the motor mount, and I think you are covered.
    You might have a thinner radiator but I doubt it.
    If you have problems with overheating then you can look for a different radiator.
    When you say you took care of the engine and exhaust, you mean you have all the brakets and accessories right?

3. big pappa b

Yes, I have all the brackets and hopefully everything else I need

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Was that the blazer for sale on ebay? Just curious. Some one needed to buy it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What gear ratio did it come with?

5. big pappa b

Not on Ebay. I bought it here in Delaware from a guy I know. No idea what gears it has yet. I actually pick it up tomorrow when he gets home

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I think most of the 6 cylinder K5s are low geared. Like 4.10s and have the NP205 transfer case. So you are pretty well set up. You already got what most of us want. Good find! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

according to GM specs sheets the lowest ratio ive seen so far thats been available in thes elater trucks is 3.73

the 6 cyl radiators are alot shorter, they use different upper retainer plate that mounts down on rear side of the rad support instead of at the top like on V8 trucks

there is also two locations on one side of the rad support for two different lower cushion locations

get correct engien mount brackets and acc cable stuff and exhaust and you should be alright minus fuel line mods and minor wire mods

good luck

8. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

hey I did a swap last year!! I have sm465/205...4:10s.and now the v-8. so far best thing I have done.The flywheel even fit.The motor mounts are also the same.mine is a 77.yours is a 80s the mount brackets might be differant. : /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. big pappa b

So you didn't have to change to frame mounts? I was just guessing they had to be changed like on my chevelle when it went from a 6 to 8 cylinder

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i wish you lived closer....
    i want a 6 in my wifes blazer.
    grant