Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 degree shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Dec 15, 2001.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

what material are 6 degree shimms made out of? and will a shim break if its sandwiched between the leafpack and the block? Well that if the block is one of the hollow ones instead of the solid ones. any thoughts anybody?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

usually cast aluminum....I've never seen one break, but I haven't seen many either. Ask on the 4x4 forum...lots more traffic over there.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

3. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

I've been running a 4 d. shim for years and have never had a problem.

Whats wrong with big and wide?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Funny you should ask. I have an 89 4x4 blazer with a 6" lift and the rear springs came factory with about a 4 degree shim in the spring pack. The problem with it is that the springs are 2 1/2" wide but the shim is only 1 7/8" wide and I also run a hollow 3" block that is 2 1/2" wide so the shim has broke in half on the drivers side and shattered on the passenger side. The shims are made of cast aluminum. I currently have a friend making me 5 degree shims out of 2 1/2" wide steel that are the full length of the blocks.