Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 friggin months

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 8, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is how long it takes to get a pistol permit in my county. On the bright side, after I pay the $74 and get the permit, the renewal fee is $10 every 5 years...

I'm in the market for a handgun, now. I've been watching Laketex and z3pr's threads, but they're a little too advanced for me to use to make a decision on my first handgun. I need more beginner's handgun advice.

Thinking real thoroughly on it, I don't recall ever firing a pistol, although I've shot rifles years ago as a teenager...
    How massively different is a pistol from a rifle?
    What do I check when gun shopping? I've seen plenty of cool-looking guns, but have no clue how to judge their abilities and mine with them.
    Depending on this guy that might be helping me with the processing, my budget may be seriously low (lucky for me I found some cash I had stashed and forgotten, though), or may not be that bad. It's nowhere near $650, though...

What kind of questions should I ask the guy behind the counter?

Thanks, I know you guys know your stuff and will steer me right!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just go down to your local gun store and try a few out. Alot of gun stores have shootin' ranges. You want something that feels good and fits your hand. Once you get one, practice practice practice at a shooting range.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

What do you want to be able to do with it? That's the first question that needs answering. Personal protection from humans? Wildlife? Target shooting? Or just plain blow the crap outta stuff?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think the best advice i can give is to recommend that you invest some $ and go to a target range that rents guns and try several out. Whichever one feels the best to you, go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Im a glock fan personally, but not every1 likes them. Its hard to recommend a gun to some1, mainly because i have no idea how "gun x" will feel to YOU. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Welp, in answer to all questions:

I called a range walking home, in New York State, you can't even physically hold a pistol without a permit. So the search is off for at east 6 months...

None of the stores/dealers here have ranges, I think that's also some retarded law, that you can't sell firearms at a range, just ammo.

Rental is a great idea, I'm going to look for that when I get the permit.

I want it for all of the above mentioned;
    1. Home/personal defense
    2. Hunting in the future, but probably far future, I'm more comfortable hunting with a rifle, and will prolly even use a bow before handgun.
    3. Blow the crap outta stuff, but just the paper targets at the range... That thing goes bang outside of there in this state, you better beleive there's gonna be a lot of investigation!
    4. To contribute to keeping America run by it's citizens; exercise my fundamental/Constitutional right to bear arms.

So primarily, home defense. But hopefully by the time I get one after the 6 month wait, I won't feel such a srong need to have such protective measures in my home.

So with that in mind, I'll try a couple out in six months, and probly top this thread then. Kinda sucks, but, I want to be by the law with every T and I with this.

Thanks for the replies guys!

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I called a range walking home, in New York State, you can't even physically hold a pistol without a permit.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Whoa, and I thought Kalifornia was ass-backwards... </font>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, really. We're adopting all your vehicle emissions laws, too.

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]

I called a range walking home, in New York State, you can't even physically hold a pistol without a permit. So the search is off for at east 6 months...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats pretty lame. On the plus side, you could spend that 6 months trying to figure out which handguns *might* work best for you (ie cost, caliber etc) and then when u finally get the permit you'll know what you want to rent. I mean, it'd be pretty depressing if you rented 5 guns and the one you liked turned out to be the $800 one thats way outside your budget. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I want it for all of the above mentioned;
    1. Home/personal defense
    2. Hunting in the future, but probably far future, I'm more comfortable hunting with a rifle, and will prolly even use a bow before handgun.
    3. Blow the crap outta stuff, but just the paper targets at the range... That thing goes bang outside of there in this state, you better beleive there's gonna be a lot of investigation!
    4. To contribute to keeping America run by it's citizens; exercise my fundamental/Constitutional right to bear arms.

So primarily, home defense. But hopefully by the time I get one after the 6 month wait, I won't feel such a strong need to have such protective measures in my home.

[/ QUOTE ]

relatively diverse uses for a single gun... for example I think a .45 is a great personal defense round... but prolly not the best thing for hunting. If home defense is the key, it might be helpful to know what kinda area you live in. For example, a guy that lives on a farm or something can use ammunition that might have pretty good penetrating (walls or whatever) power while someone in the suburbs definitely wouldnt wan't that. Thankfully, these days, most major ammunition manufacturers make certain types of ammo that are less likely to penetrate too great a distance. That aside, higher velocity lower caliber rounds (9mm, .357 sig etc) are generally going to penetrate masses more than fatter/slower rounds (.45acp, .40 etc). If you live in a heavily populated area, this is definitely something to consider. Capacity is another, my dad loves his colt commander .45. I think its a pretty nice gun, but only having 7-8 rounds has never seemed like a good idea to me. Yeah, you can train and learn to reload VERY fast... but not reloading at all would be even better (just my opinion). My personal carry gun is a glock in 9mm. I can fire 16 times (always leave one in the chamber!) without reloading.... which is much more to my liking than 7-8 times. In a perfect world, you could take the bad guy out with a single round... unfortunately the real world is rarely perfect, no matter how much you train, and I'd hate to die learning that lesson.

j

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks. All real good things to think about.

I'm glad you mentioned penetrating walls, that was the one thing about home defense firearms that bugged me, but I could never put my finger on it. It would really defeat the purpose of the weapon if I took out the bad guy in a break-in or hostile situation, and a round that missed him went through a wall or floor into someone I love. Saving my stuff is the second thought, saving my wife and kids is the primary objective.

Thanks for the reply!

10. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

The best home defense weapon is a 12 gauge, with a short barrel and a pistol grip. Load it up with light shot and at close range it will take out anything, but loses energy quickly and will not penetrate too much. If you absolutely want a pistol for home defense, think about loading it with something like Glasier slugs (i think that's right) that break apart and don't penetrate through the body. Just my opinion.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. That's what I use. Nothing is more devistating at close range.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you absolutely want a pistol for home defense, think about loading it with something like Glasier slugs (i think that's right) that break apart and don't penetrate through the body. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to do that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As far as I'm concerned, if some intruder comes into my house looking for something he's not entitled to, if he's not dead from gun-shot wounds he's gonna have to worry about lead-posioning...that's for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would you want to do that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

glazers are plenty lethal... they just dont leave the body (in theory). they still put a gaping hole in ur chest and do all kinds of nasty internal damage... they just dont go out the other side (again, in theory) hence they are better for using in a home where your kid might be on the other side of a wall...and no, that sheetrock isnt going to stop a .45 slug.

j

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ratch,
    I bet if You asked real nice Hillary would give You any gun You wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. landsmasher

In my opinion the best all around hand gun is a .357 magnum. Nice thing about it is you can use 38 caliber rounds to practice with. Much cheaper than .357 mags. But when you go hunting and need it for self protection or need it to take out a human it's gonna do the job with the .357 rounds. If you can't take out a human with 6 shots yer dead anyways. They are a very accurate gun and you can get one relatively cheap. Blackhawk Rugar is a nice one.

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Is a .357 on a .38 frame a good thing?

17. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Is a .357 on a .38 frame a good thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to tell you that all I ever did was buy guns and learn how to clean them and shoot them. I have no idea how they are built because it never became a hobby. My hobby was hunting and it lasted a whole two years.

As far as what kind a frame the Black Hawk is built with, all I can tell you is that I had a single action and it never blew up in my face with either 38s or .357 Mag Loads. I did however almost shoot myself with it once... That's a whole nuther story... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

My grandfather was a police cheif in Michigan, and his service revolver was a .357 on a .38 frame. My dad has it now...he seems to think it's pretty damn cool. I'm just curious as to what it means? Does it look like a small .38 but shoot .357 ammo?