Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 inch lift any one???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickdubrule41, May 26, 2005.

1. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

hey guys iv got a pretty much stock 89 jimmy except a 4 inch lift and 33's i have already droppped the transfer case around 2 inches or so to make up for the 4 inch lift i would like to install a 6 inch lift to fit larger tires. and if possible i would like to reuse the drive shafts that are on the truck if possible. if i install the 6 inch lift will i have problems with the drive line angles? what have you all done with yours. any help would be great thanks alot nick.. :)

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just trim the fenders to fit the bigger tires? Its cheaper (free) and there won't be any of the complications you are worried about. With 4-5" of lift, I run 39.5s... and 42s will come eventually. You don't need a huge lift to fit bit tires.

more than likely. You can take the shafts you have to a local driveline shop and have them lengthened or you can get custom bling shafts made. Shims between your spring packs and spring perches can help your pinion angle / joint operating angle too.

j

3. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

depending on the leafs that you plan to go with, and the amount of flex (if better) you probably will need a longer front shaft, and possible a rear. The same can be said for the angles on your pinion.

personally i would just chop it up and stuff those bigger meats like jek said. but i know some people are opposed to that and to them i say just stick it in some places that it doesn't fit very well till you dent every body panel you have on trees and rocks, then you wont feel so bad about cutting it up.

4. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

ya your right fender trimming would make more sence. thanks alot nick

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

lift

even with a 4" lift you still need to add 1 inch to your drive line's so they dont come out in some flexing moment's

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4" lift and 3" body will clear 38x12.50 tires with no real rub but watch the back corners on the frt fenders.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ha, I caught the back edge of my fender with 10" of lift and 35x16" boggers. :haha: