Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 inch lift too tippy..??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Apr 2, 2004.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I was talking to my dad and he is convinced that a 6in lift is way too tippy on a blazer. He said a 4 would be much more secure. With the type of wheeling i am going to do, which would be mostly hill climbs and trails( not rock crawling yet), do you think a 6 in lift would be ok with 35s or is my dad right and 4 is just waaaaay better and more secure?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Not wayyyyy more, but the lower you go the better generally, with this type of wheeling. Especially with 35's.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know cuz on account my lift is basically a 4" lift but I'm sure you will get prolly six billion replies that say 6" and higher lifts are just fine. From what I've witnessed out playin in the rocks, 6" lifts don't seem to be any less capable of extreme angles than anythin else. Tell your Dad to calm down and take a look at the many pics you're gonna receive to this thread. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depends what tires you run.

I doubt I'm going to have many issues at 6" of lift with 38.5x16s on 15x10s.

With 33x12.50s on 15x8s that might not be the case

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Allright I'll bite why would smaller tires be less tippy?

Allan

6. k5 krawler 50

I am going to run the super swamper ssr 35x12.5x15 on a 15x 10 steel rim. If i cant convince my dad on the 6 in lift i am going to run the same tire on a 15x8 steel rim.

7. k5 krawler 50

Does any one have pictures of their blazers with a 6in lift and 35s? Thanks.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think there will be a huge difference in "tippiness" between the 4" and 6" lifts, but if you are looking for just function on the trails than there is no reason to go to a 6" lift with the 35" tires.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Pauly383k10 has a 4" lift and 33/12.5/15 tires, and that thing will go everywhere, well almost everywhere, at least everywhere we take it. Nice height, good ground clearence, hasen't rubbed anythiing yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

" YET "

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I would go with you dad and run a 4 inch or run a 4 inch and zero rates 5inches

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running around 5" on 37's. That puts my truck up at 6" with 35's height. I can get it pretty tippy with no worry. The major tip issue is on the street. A lifted truck has an offroad preformance mod. It will do worse on the street. That is probably the issue your dad is trying to express.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm with your dad on this! Run as short of a lift as you can get away with. 4" springs will flex better, require less mods to make work (brake lines, d-shafts, steering, etc...), and would be more stable. I don't see any reason that 6" springs would be a good way to go...

2.5" springs would be even better /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

click my signature, choose the k5 page and look at the pics, youll find some pics there

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    2.5" springs would be even better /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your draglink was already damn near touching the damn crossmember at 6"!!

15. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

A lot of guys try and keep a rig under 7 feet tall, which a full-size truck though its pretty hard because with 4" and 33's you will sit just under or at 7 feet. I'm running 33x12.5" tires on 15x8s now and its a perfect combo I think. I don't rub at all from what I can tell, even fully flexed out I won't rub, but it is close at the back side of the front fender.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

All depends on how you drive. Yes, a 6" lift will have a higher center of gravity, but that just means you need to take curves alittle slower. If you don't mind trimming your fenders, go for the 4" and make the old man happy. If you do, I'd say get a shackle flip for the rear, much better ride in my opinion.

17. k5 krawler 50

Thanks for all the helpful information, i think i am going to go with the 4" lift and zero rates, kind of a happy medium between the 2, and see how things work out. Thanks again for the info.