Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 inch lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outlawtorn, Sep 13, 2004.

1. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Ive been wondering if I ran a 6 inch lift on my 78 k5 is it a must to get a different longer driveshaft or is there away of getting around it? and on that note what other modifications would i need to make? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

you will have to either get a driveshaft place to lengthen it, or get a whole new one.
    with the 6" lift you will need longer brake lines, and stuff to lower your steering.

3. outlawtorn

ok so far that doesnt sound to bad
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Trying to get around driveshaft modification isn't really a good idea. If you're going to band-aid fix anything, a driveshaft is not what I'd choose to be band-aiding.

If you're after a lift only to achieve a higher stance for looks, just do a body lift.

Otherwise, do the lift, and modify your driveshaft as necessary to ensure it works.

NOTHING is worse than a hack job of a driveshaft. Trust me...breaking driveshafts sucks.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]When I went 6" lift I had new driveshafts made. But my stock shafts where pretty worn out anyways. Aprox. $200.00 per shaft.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]When I went 6" lift I had new driveshafts made. But my stock shafts where pretty worn out anyways. Aprox. $200.00 per shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't mention if his truck is a 4 speed or an automatic, but if you have a '70s truck with a 4 speed, most likely the front shaft is not going to be able to operate at the angles produced by a 6" lift if you have any kind of flex when you're done and may require an upgrade.

7. outlawtorn

What i meant by trying to get around it is like dropping the t-case a bit or something nothing stupid that would make it unusable. 200 a shaft isnt to bad. Mine don't look to bad might just have em rebuilt, we'll see i guess.

Its a th-350 with an np 203 case.

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive been wondering if I ran a 6 inch lift on my 78 k5 is it a must to get a different longer driveshaft or is there away of getting around it? and on that note what other modifications would i need to make? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need as already said a longer driveshaft in the front and rear..Brakelines,and to correct the angle of the drag link you will need a raised steering arm,

Stay away from a body lift over 1"...Not needed.
    And with lowering the TC that will make the front driveline more apt to bind up the front CV..

9. outlawtorn

alright thanks for the tips mike,oh and what would it hurt to run a bigger body lift?

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    alright thanks for the tips mike,oh and what would it hurt to run a bigger body lift?

[/ QUOTE ] Makes it top heavy.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does? How does a body lift make a rig top heavy, but a 6" suspension lift does not?

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing....

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does? How does a body lift make a rig top heavy, but a 6" suspension lift does not?

[/ QUOTE ] Did I say that ?? Or are you just being Timmay ?? It's not a 4" suspension lift + 2" body lift vers a 6" suspension lift question. It's a 6" suspension lift with a question of adding a body lift or not. But that seamed too be more then you are willing too comprehend. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. outlawtorn

no need to argue over it was just a dumb inexperienced kid question heh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif just disregard it if its gonna cause a problem.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    no need to argue over it was just a dumb inexperienced kid question heh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif just disregard it if its gonna cause a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]That's really not a issue. It's more of someone twisting what someone else says. Besides, a good arguement can be fun from time to time. But on the subject of 6" lifts plus body lifts, I had planned on adding a 1" body lift with new poly mounts, and probley zero rates on both ends. Yes, it'd be top heavy, but I'm more of a mudder then anything else. If you're more into rock crawling, you might want too consitter a small lift and fender trimming. I belive befor giving advice on the propper way too build a truck, that everyone should ask what and how the truck will be used. I wouldn't tell someone building a rock crawler too get a 8 + inch(s) of lift.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Did I say that ?? Or are you just being Timmay ?? It's not a 4" suspension lift + 2" body lift vers a 6" suspension lift question. It's a 6" suspension lift with a question of adding a body lift or not. But that seamed too be more then you are willing too comprehend. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I was just unclear on what you were saying. I thought you were debating 6" suspension and no body vs. stock suspension and 3" body, in which case I wondered how one lift would make the rig more top heavy than the other.

17. outlawtorn

to clear it up i meant how would it hurt adding a bodylift on top of a 6 inch suspension lift.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I was just unclear on what you were saying. I thought you were debating 6" suspension and no body vs. stock suspension and 3" body, in which case I wondered how one lift would make the rig more top heavy than the other.

[/ QUOTE ] Okay, simple missunderstanding. But I am dissapointed about no fun arguement. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    to clear it up i meant how would it hurt adding a bodylift on top of a 6 inch suspension lift.

[/ QUOTE ] What are your plans for the truck ?? What kind of wheeling do you want too do ??? If you want too go crawling up in the hills, you might be better off with a 4" lift and trim the fenders for tire clearence. With just a 6" lift it feels like it's going too roll when you get off camber. Ask me how I know, almost laid it on it's side on some of the trails up on Silver Mountin more then a few times. But if you're more into mudding, get'er up.

20. outlawtorn

ive been up silver mountain didnt like those trails to much. I love the mud but its hard to find around here, and i like an occasional hillclimb and maybe some rocks from time to time.