Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Inch lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slider, Nov 24, 2004.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have a 1980 GMC 1/2 ton pu and I am looking at ditching the 2" body lift and 4" lift kit and going to a 6" lift kit. Will I need longer drivelines or will the stock length drivelines make it? I am looking at a Tuff Country e-z ride. Any others I should look at. I already have extended brake lines and a drop steering arm, just need to know what stuff I will need to make the 6" lift work. Thanks for the help. Slider

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have a longbed it will likely be fine with the driveshafts it has.

Any reason you're doing this?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Search the forums. There are litteraly hundreds of threads about adding a 6" lift with "What will I need to do?" type questions. Infact there was a thread floating around here in the garage a few days ago about a guy wanting a 6" & 35's needing to know if he would need to lengthen his shafts.

But to answer your questions..... I doubt you will need new shafts for only a 6" kit.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just install it. If you need new drive shafts, oh well, they're not that expencive. I had new shafts made when I went 6", but my stock shafts were pretty worn out anyways. I paid $200.00 per shaft (All new parts, ballanced).

5. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

I have an 1981 pickup and I had to replace the rear driveshaft. The shop added about 2.5" to it. It is perfect now. I also replaced the front shaft (it was bad) and mad it about 0.5" longer.

NOTE: It might be long enough when the truck is sitting on the ground, but if you are in full drop (high articulation) it might be too short. Make sure you check compatibility for Daily driving and extreme conditions.

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I don't like the body lift, the gaps between the bumpers. I have a 4" lift with a shackle flip. I am looking for a 6" lift kit where I can keep the shackle flip

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Move the bumpers or make a cover plate.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 4" lift with a shackle flip. I am looking for a 6" lift kit where I can keep the shackle flip

[/ QUOTE ] 6" springs up front and either 2" or even 3" springs rear. I personally would use 3" springs in the rear, I like the rear slightly higher then the front.

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I went to the 6 inch lift from the 4 all I had to do was clearance my front shaft and drop the t case to make my stock shafts work and they extend to full axle droop. A thing to look at is your e-brake set p. Had to do away with mine when I put the 6 lift on, well I used zero rates too so you might not have that problem.

James