Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6-Inch Suspension Lift: What Brand...?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyUp, Dec 13, 2002.

1. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Hello,

I'm in the market for a 6-inch suspension lift for my 72-Jimmy. Currently, I'm running a 4-inch Rough Country lift that I am very happy with. Unfortunately, Rough Country does not make a 6-inch kit so I will have to go with another brand.

I can get a kit from Superlift but they only offer a heavey duty kit so the ride from the springs will be garbage. Or so I am told anyway. Has anybody heard good or bad things about Genuine Suspension? Also, what about Skyjacker or any other name brand manufactuer that makes lifts for our 1st generation 1/2 ton Blazers and Jimmys?

Thanks,
    Scott
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

3. JimmyUp

Hello Jim,

I actually saw this link in a previous thread of yours and read the article on Skyjacker. I am actually leaning this direction. However, they want $970.00 for the lift kit(includes F/R softride springs, drop steering arm, brake relocation brackets and 6-Nitro shocks and delivery). That's a lot more than I was expecting to have to spend. I was thinking $800.00 tops.

Regardless, my concern is that I currently have a 4-inch Rough Coutry lift and just replaced my 33 BFGs with 35 BFGs and I have no clearence when turning. I mean zero...! I know it should, but I am not 100% convinced that a 6-inch kit will provide me with the room I need, especially in any articulation situations. On the otherhand, how the hell could a 6-inch kit not allow me to clear 35s...?

Do you personally know anybody running this lift and tire combo...?

Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
    Scott

4. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am running a rough country 4" front 6" rear springs setup. I also added the Hills extended front shackles. So in all I have 5" front and 6" rear lift, I am running 35X12.50 15 BFG MudTerrains on stock 15X8 Ralley wheels. I dont have any problem with rubbing! Rough Country does make a 6" rear spring for your Blazer, I have a set!

5. JimmyUp

Where can I learn more about this Hills shackle? Also, does your rig sit level or does it have front or butt sag?

Thanks,
    Scott

6. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at the Black Diamond Suspension. I haven't been able to find out much about the company since Warn sold them off. The price is right though. The only bad things I have heard were about their shocks. I was figuring on going with either Edelbrock or Rancho shocks any way so that isn't a big deal to me. Any one out here tried the BDS?

7. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

The back is just a little high, unless the hard top is on. When the top is on it is perfectly level.

8. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of useing the black diamond kit too. Everyone on here told me to use skyjacker but that cost too much /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. JimmyUp

Hello there,

Becuase I am looking to go with a 6-inch lift I am selling my existing 4-inch lift (springs front & rear, bushings, 6-shocks and u-bolts). There are in excellent condition and are coming off of my 72 Jimmy/Blazer.

I am selling the kit for a very reasonable price. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,
    Scott

10. JimmyUp

I am leaning toward going with Skyjacker becuase they offer the SuperRide spring in a 6-inch kit. However, I have heard that Tuff Country offers a similar kit. Does anybody have any good or bad things to say about Skyjacker or Tough Country products?

Thanks!

11. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

I really liked my 4" Skyjacker Softride I had on my old '72 K-5. It actually came with 6" rear springs to offset the weight of the top so maybe the 6" comes with 8" springs in the rear? Anyhow, you've said you like your current lift, have you thought about maybe supplementing those springs with zero rates. Since they bolt to the spring pack, they can be used in both the rear and front. It will only get you to 5" or so but maybe that's all you need. Check out Offroad Design and A-tron. A-tron also offers the zero rates that are degreed for drive line angle and you can also offset your axle 1 to 1.5" front or back. That could also help considerably with your clearance problems. I haven't personally used these but everyone else seems happy. Any comments anyone?

12. TED

TED Registered Member

I have a set of 6" skyjacker rear springs that I'm willing to sell. They are brand new! Probably 100 miles on them. I repainted them and they are sitting in my garage right now. The six inch was a little too high for me since I am running 33's. Too much empty space in the wheel wells and the tires are new so I didn't want to go buy 35's. I can send pictures, if anyone is interested, make me a decent offer.
    TED

13. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

how much you want for the 6" springs?

14. TED

TED Registered Member

I sent you a PM
    TED

15. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

16. JimmyUp

I just sent you a PM....

--Scott

17. JimmyUp

All right,

please help me make my decision. I am looking at going with either Tuff Country or Skyjacker. Which is a beter kit. I am primarily concerned with ride quality and sag. Meaning, I want a good ride without a saging front or ass-end.

Thanks!

18. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I bought the AD price 6" from 4wheelparts.com: it is a superlift 6" front spring with procomp block and Add leaf for rear, enforcer shocks with skyjacker sterring block. They try to up sell everthing. Just hold firm and you will get the ad price $419.00!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Shock boots $8.00 a pr and Skyjacker Brake lines $75.00 Extra

19. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ted,
    Do ya still have the 6" springs. Also do ya have stuff for the front. I am in the market for a 6" lift. I have been looking at the balck diamond also. PM me if ya still got em with a price. Thanks.