Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 inch suspension lift

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77BLAZ, Apr 10, 2003.

1. 77BLAZ

77BLAZ Registered Member

hi I have a 77 K5 with a 4 inch rancho lift and 3 inch body lift and cut out bushwacker flares. I want to install a 6 inch suspension lift, I just want to know what brands you suggest and what all needs to be done for the install. thanks appreciate the help

2. 69k5blaz

69k5blaz Registered Member

I bought a 6 inch lift kit from rough country on the 21st of march. I still have not recieved it as of 4 / 10. I here that it is a great flexy set up but availability is iffy.

3. TED

TED Registered Member

I have some 6" skyjacker rear springs that I plan on selling but I don't have anything for the front. Let me know if your interested. For the install, do either the front or rear first and not both at the same time. If you do the front first, loosen lug nuts, remove drive shaft, and jack it up high and put jack stands from the ground to the frame. Remove your tires and lower the truck down on to the jackstands but make sure your break lines are long enough because the axle will be sagging at this point. Then loosen the U-bolts on both sides that attach the leaf springs to the axle. Start on either the driver or passenger side and remove U bolts but put the jack under the axle so it doesn't slam to the ground when you remove the last nut. Lower the axle a little with the jack until it is free of the leaf spring. Remove the bolt in front that attaches the spring to the frame, then the one in the rear that attaches the spring to the shackle. Now your spring is free, put the new spring in using the two bolts you just took out and use the jack to lift the axle up to the spring. The guide pin in your leaf spring goes into the hole in your axle perch. put the U-bolts back on but don't tighten them all the way and go do the driver side. After you have removed that spring and installed the new one, tighten everything up and put the tires on, then lift it up and remove jackstands then bring it down and go do the rear. A leaf spring lift is pretty easy to do. Be sure to tighten everything according to CHilton specs or whatever book you have and re-tighten everythng after 20 miles or so. This is all off the top of my head and I apologize for any steps that i might have missed. Oh yeah, be sure to block the tires while it is up on jacks so it doesn't roll off. Make sure your steering arm is long enough too.
    TED

4. 69k5blaz

69k5blaz Registered Member

Hey thanks for the advice. I didnt have any idea about how to to complete the front. I did a rear end change in college with a bunch of rail road ties and effort. It wasnt fun but now I have air tools and I hope it will go less painfull. Thanks again for the advice and the offer on the lift but mine came in today and next week will be install.

5. 77BLAZ

77BLAZ Registered Member

Thanks for the help fellas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Also When doing the install is a good time to think about changing out the rear anchors to standard U bolts and anchor plates on the top....kinda odd but, one of the hold up's on my install was the steering arm..It had to be torched off and one of the studs broke off in the knuckle..If your going to be putting in a new steering arm make sure to have new cone washers (you can get them at any GM)... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif