Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift and driveshafts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, May 7, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i've searched and found nothing, so for you guy's running a 6" all spring lift, did you have to get either of your driveshafts lengthened?

i know it should be alittle different for most applications, but i need to know since i'm in the middle of swapping the motor and trans, so i need to figure the lift and all the stuff that will go into the lift into another budget.

2. JNygard

JNygard Registered Member

Both will probably need to be stretched. I also went with a CV joint on the rear one to help with vibration due to the angle.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What trans and t-case do you have? The length of the 2 will make a difference for the front shaft. My '79 K20 had a TH350 with a NP203 and both shafts worked fine.

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to do both

I am running a 6.2 diesel with a 700r4 and had to redo both front and rear drive lines. I also had to grind out the saftey limiters on the front double C so that it would flex enough. also installed a tcase drop kit too. drivelines unlimited here in Lake Forest does a pretty good job and it very fair on price.

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a 6" lift on my truck shackle flip and 2" block.. my bro has 6" all spring he and i both didnt need new driveshafts, both 700r/208's

6. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I have a 6 inch spring lift on my '70, np205. Haven't lengthened either driveshaft - front is perfect, rear is a little extended (can just barely see the splines) but seems fine for now.

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I have a th350 and 203. I did not need the shafts lengthened. The front has alot of spline showing, but still has enough.

8. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 700r4 and a 241 and had nasty vibration in the rear and the front didn't even come close. Then again my front drive line was wore out so no biggie. I got a CV for the rear too.

~Brian

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Budget it in. Do it right. My .02. Also very likely you will want a rear CV if a DD.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6" of spring lift is the divididing line between where some trucks driveshafts need to be lengthened and others not. If you went any higher, then you would definitly have to lengthen them. You will not know until you actually put the thing togehter. That is the nature of modifying a vehicle. One thing I like about rear shackle flip lifts is that it moves the differental forward about 3/4" or more. I have 8" of lift on the rear of my truck, and because of the shackle flip moving the axle forward, I am still using the stock shaft with no problem at all. I have 7" of lift on the front, and not only did I have to lengthen the driveshaft 3/4", but there where several other modifications I had to make as well; like the exhaust sytem cross-over pipe, and a set of off-set u-joints.

11. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Also probably have to do a little "clearance grinding" on the CV....

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I forgot about that. I had to do that too.