Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift...can i get a kit for a 3/4 ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Jan 10, 2007.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

so i want to order a 6" spring lift for basically an 85 k5 has 10 bolts now ,58 apache body. every place i call they overload me with options heres what i got and what i think i need..
    85 k5
    d60
    14bff
    37x13.5

front
    6" front springs
    d60 spring plates (not with the d60)
    u bolts kit for d60
    raised steering arm & block
    shocks
    longer brake lines
    sway bar drop bracket

rear
    6" 52" rear springs
    1 ton u bolts (do i need different spring plates goin from 10 bolt to 14bff)
    shocks
    longer brake lines

will i need different yokes or driveshafts or anything else to do this axle swap and lift? i know i gotta move rear perches. what do i do about ebrake cables?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

In the rear I went with a 3" spring and a 4" ORD shackle flip. It actually gives me 7" but once I throw some crap in the back it levels out pretty good. Just my .02 cents worth

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. I would also get a shackle flip and either 2 or 3 inch springs in the back
    2. yes you need new spring plates for the rear. 14b has bigger tube and u-bolts
    3. I would ditch the sway bar on the front.
    4. if possible, mostly funds permiting, do crossover instead of getting all the bandaids for the stock steering. with a d60 cost wont be near as bad as with a 10b.

thats how I would do it but everything else looks good to me.:D

4. mjnemmer

mjnemmer Registered Member

you will probly also need a conversion u joint or a new yoke fot the driveshaft going to the 14bff. im going through that part now.

5. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i was told being mostly show and go and with the tourque produced that a shackle flip wasnt a good idea i was told springs and anti wrap perches. possibly trac bars.

6. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

so just talked to another vender who said i can get tuff country's 3/4 ton kit with rear 52" springs and this will give me everything i need including the d 60 u bolts and 14 bff u bolts and steering correction is that right? i can get a 3/4 ton kit for my 1/2 ton k5 frame with a d60 and 14bff?

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you need anti wrap perches and and traction bars without a shackle flip then you might as well go with the flip. it will ride better since you can use a spring with less arch. I agree with everyone else on the crossover. don't waste your money on cheap fixes. the truck will steer better with crossover even if the biggest thing you ever drive over is a speedbump.

most lift kits are the same for a 1/2 or 3/4. you will need a conversion joint for the rear shaft or you could have the right yoke welded on to your shaft. You will probably need a longer rear shaft anyways. the front shaft will be good becasue the yoke on your 60 sits back further then the 10 bolt thats there now.

If you want to keep the swaybar then you should get some type of disconnect. The swaybar needs a point to move just like the springs. Your front springs have shackles so they can extend when you hit a bump. the swaybar will keep the axle from moving if you do not correct it somehow.

I personally think you should just ditch it.