Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift cv angle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85_k5, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

I have a 6" bds lift(front and back) in my 85 blazer. The rear came with 4degree shims and I lowered my t/case 1" on the bottom of the frame. Everything was good untill I snapped the rear axle, why I thought 36" swampers and a 10bolt would be ok I dont know lol. Well I swapped in a 14bolt in the rear. After doing this I have now got a bad vibration. I found out that by doing a big gear change in the rear ends(3:08-4:10) will enhance any vibration that wasnt apparent before. So I had my rear driveshaft fitted with a cv joint, shimmed the rear diff with 6degree shims and it still vibrates.The rear u-joint is still operating at 4 degrees. I decided im going to cut and reweld the spring perches. I know the rear ujoint should be at 0 or 1 or 2 degrees down to compensate for axle wrap. What I need to know is with a 6" lift, if I put my t/case back up to the top side of the frame and point the pinion at it will my cv bind? Not a big deal to keep it there but I would rather put it back up. I dont want to put it backup, weld the spring perches only to find I have to lower it and readjust my spring perches. I searched but only found info on having to put a cv in or not to drop t/case , hopefully the answer is yes it wont bind. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  2. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

3. Big Truck

Big Truck 1/2 ton status

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i say make sure your yokes (on rear axle, and the one going tinto the case) are phased correctly cause if they are not it will definantly bind and release causing the shake. i say check that and leave the shims and case dropped and see what it does.

LUKE

5. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Thanks, I will check that, never even thought about the phasing, just had the shaft rebuilt and just took it for granted the shop put it together right.

6. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Ok I just checked the phasing, the driveshaft is in phase,as in the rear yoke on the driveshaft(not the rear pinion yoke) and the front yoke on the driveshaft are exactly the same. Now the t/case yoke and the rearend yoke are not in phase but that is the only way those can go it seems with the cv joint. Also forgot to mention if it matters my t/case is a 205 with a fixed yoke. I think the best bet would probably leave the t/case lowered and rotate the rear end up, that way I know for sure it wont bind. Maybe I will raise the t/case rotate the rear end up and just put a good tackweld on the perchestighten the u-bolts good and flex it out in the driveway and see if it binds.