Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift do i need shims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sf_wood, May 22, 2005.

1. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

I have tc 6" front springs and ord 4" shackle flip 2" spring .What if any shims do i need ? 205 tcase dana44 14b ff

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it depends, what are your ujoint angles?

3. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

how do i check that? detail info if possible. what should it be ? by the way its a 1977 k10 d44/14b ff/205/465/350.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a angle finder from harbor freight. costs like $6
    stick it on the driveshafts, the pinions yokes, and some how you have to figure out how to measure the engine slope. on a auto you just stick it on the pan. but a stick, i have found no place that has the same angle (you may be able to do the harmonic ballancer with the pulley off)

you want the engine slop and the rear yoke to be within 3* to keep it vibration free (with no CV)

the front, you want the pinion angle to be even with the driveshaft. this give you the least amount of angle on the CV and a vibration free operation. but when you put shims in the front, your caster changes which effects steering.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A yoke or the back cover of a t-case is 90 degrees from the engine slope, it's simple math from there. Example - if the number near the top of the angle finder is 90 degrees, and you are reading 93 degress - then 93 minus 90 is 3 degress engine slope.

I just measure the two yokes and make sure they are within 3 degress of each other.