Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift, drivehaft need to be lengthened?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jan 21, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

6\" lift, drivehaft need to be lengthened?

I hear some people say yes and others say no. My friends 86 K10 with a 6" didn't need the driveshafts lengthened. Rough Country says I won't need to lengthen mine with their 6" lift. What do you guys say??

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift, drivehaft need to be lengthened?

I have heard in long box trucks and suburbans you can get away with keeping the driveshafts stock length. But not in shorter wheelbase vehicles.

3. Big Bad 82 K5

Big Bad 82 K5 Newbie

I have heard the same thing you have so i called my local 4x4 shop today to price a 6" lift for my 82 K5 and they told me the did not need to be lengthend because the lift kit came with a adapter to drop my transfer case. I just don't see how that is possible because you would have to drop the tranny and motor too right? If any one has any info on that could they please get back with me email is firetaz@felpsis.net. Hope fully we find some right answers

K5 what real men drive! Just runnin over the competition

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

When you drop the tcase you put a shim between the crossmember and the frame. It will lower the tcase but it puts the engine and transmission at an angle. So the mounting points of the engine dont change it gets tilted backwards. Alot of people do this to reduce vibration. This can be done by flipping the spacers that are stock. Take a peek down there and you will see what I mean. You can do eaither but I say lengthen the shaft and get a CV with 6" of lift.

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

My 1-ton longbed is lifted 6" with out the shafts lengthened and no problems whatsoever. So a Sub should not have to have them lengthened