Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift problems with a 4" lift WTF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Mar 19, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

6\" lift problems with a 4\" lift WTF

my 1 tons and 4" bds kit is all but installed and i'm haveing some problems. to start with i have a 87 k5 blazer with a 700 208 combo with a d60 and a 14bff. both driveshafts seems to short they look ok for the street but could come out offroad the front driveshaft hits the y pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif these are all things that i thought you got when you went to 6" not 4" has any one else had this problem

2. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift problems with a 4\" lift WTF

Oh yea, and then some. Unfortunately. With 4" of lift you'll have to do something about the rear shaft otherwise will have bad vibrations around 50-60mph. You can drop the transfer case or go with a cv shaft, but the cv shaft needs a pinion angle adjustment (unless doing a shackle flip which makes the angle about right). Not sure on the front, I had mine lengthened and reworked but I'm not happy with it (shoddy driveline shop). Also will probly need a raised steering arm and front pinion angle shims.

4-6" lifts are about the same amount of work IMO. A 2" and 33s is a pretty simple deal, but any more and you're basically re-engineering the vehicle.

3. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i dont need the steering block since i am going X-over. i was really considering 2.5" lift but since everyone on here was saying 4" is fine i went for it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif oh well it will be cool in the long run just way more expensive than i had planned. my girlfreind cant understand how a truck i bought for 2k has cost me 2 to 3 times what i paid for it already and i've only had it since christmas

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what springs are they? Sometimes 4" springs actually give liek 6" and settle over time to 4".

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Do you have a factory style pipe? if its an after market, it *might* have clearance issues. As for the rear, if you went with springs, you would most likely experience a lift of 5" or so, and would settle down to 4. BTW, did you get the perches re-worked for the 14b?

6. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

the springs are bds and i didn't rework the perches since it was out of a 3/4 ton. as for the y pipe i guess its original.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard, when installing a 14 FF axle, you have to lengthen the driveshaft. 14 bolt FF is actually shorter, (so I hear) than a 10 bolt snout. Do a search, post not too long ago about 14 bolt swaps...
    My 4" kit required a 1" spacer for the front driveshaft which is still a little short (works, but could work better) and the suspension has too much flex for it. My exhaust does not rub with the Superlift spacer in. I look back and should have just gone 6", but hindsight is 20/20...

8. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i was the one who posted about 14 bolt swaps and no one could give me the same answer. at the time i was going to put the 14 in without a lift the popular concesus was i would need to cut it down unless i did at least 3" of lift so i did 4 thinkin i would be alright. i dont quite know what you mean by a drive shaft spacer. do you mean t case lowering kit? if so i can use one the front would hit the exhaust even more. on top of all this the cross over steering i bought isn't workin. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i should have stuck with jeeps.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Driveshaft spacer goes between the output flange & the driveshaft flange.

10. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

hmmm learn somethin new everyday /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif