Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Jan 25, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

First off I want to say I am pretty new to 4WD's, but not new to mechanics. Okay so I have been looking at these 2 lifts for a while and I am not sure which one would be the better deal. I will not have much off road activity, mostly the beach, or light muddin'/crawlin'.
    1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-91-Chevy-6-Lift-Kit-Pickup-Blazer-Jimmy-Suburban_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQitemZ8032297986QQtcZphoto

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-91-Chevy-6-Lift-Kit-Pickup-Blazer-Jimmy-Suburban_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQitemZ8032830854QQtcZphoto

Do I really need the extras in the 2nd lift or will I be fine with the 1st? I want to do it right and take not short cuts or half a$$ the lift. I plan on 35x12.5's.

Thanks in advance,
    Haubs

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

bump!

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

well, add-a-leafs arent any good and neither are blocks, with that said, I think you should go 4" if this is coing to be a capable vehicle or get a 6" with rear springs or a shackle flip (adds 4") and 2 inch springs...

4. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well I thought about both of those options but I am trying to lean towards cost effiective, especially because I will not be doing much wheelin', this is why I don't see a problem with blocks and add-a-leafs.

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I 100% recommend going with the second post. (The EZ rides). I went Rough Country when I did my first 6" lift, and it rattled my brains out. The truck would bounce around everywhere, I would get air on speed bumps. It was horrible. I ended up switching to the EZ rides, and now it rides better than stock. In the end, it was like buying two lifts. They are amazing springs, and is worth the little extra to get them.

Al

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

What about all the extra stuff they throw in? is it really worth the extra money? The only thing I see worth having is the x-fer case drop kit, but from what I understand I can do that with the hardware that is already on my burb.

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If not much wheeling, Im gonna go with midnitewarya, you dont want to skimp in stuff like rusted bolts and stretched brakelines. There's a lot to be said about confidence that you got new stuff.

8. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It really is a much better deal for the second one. You said that your rig would primarily be a DD, and the best springs for that is going to be the EZ Rides. You are right about the transfer lower. I lowered mine with the stock sleeves.

I didn't see these in any of the kits, be careful not to forget about them: Get the longer brake lines. I snapped my rear line right in half with the "line lowering kit" It was embarrasing driving home with a vice grip on my brake hose and only the front stopping me. Also, you have to lower the sway bar, especially if it's a DD. ORD on here has a really cool kit to do this.

If you need any help, or have any questions, just keep asking.

I found this thread useful awhile back:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158578

Al

9. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for everyones help. I agree with what was said about RC, I THOUGHT both of the lifts were TC. I have heard mixed replies about needing longer driveshafts, although I am sure I will get them again, is this neccesary? I am on a pretty tight budget!

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Go with the TC lift but save yourself the shipping and buy it local. The price on that ebay auction isn't all that low. Any Les schwabb should be able to beat it. I even get a better price than that, I paid $430 after tax for that same lift but with the better shocks 3 years ago I know they went up but not that high.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Another Burb owner

If money is an issue then I too would go 4". I lifted my 'burb with a 4" Superlift kit. The driveshafts were fine, the TC didn't need to be moved, and I purchased a Sway bar disconnect and never reconnected it. Even the weight of a loaded burb with aggressive highway driving never needed a sway bar. Cheap, easy, and decent wheeling. 2 cents.

12. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Going 4" doesn't sound bad, but will I be able to put 35x12.50's on an 8" wheel under it w/o rubbing or cutting? The guy I bought the truck from said that is the setup he had, and they only rubbed a little. It just seems like a tight fit. I really do want 35's.

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

If its only street driving you should be fine with 4" and no trimming. Especially if you use a wheel with alot of back spacing to tuck the tire in. You could always just barely nip the bottom corner of your front fenders if necessary:wink1:
    Thanks,
    James