Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" Lift Question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlaznRebel, Nov 29, 2002.

1. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

6\" Lift Question?

OK here goes, I am installing a 6" lift from genuine suspension. i got the front done last night in the freezing coldbut i did not replace the pitman arm. It seems that when i try to turn to the right my steering is bottoming out and i can only get my wheels to strait. There is no right turn at all. Could this be because the pitman arm is binding? Also how long should the brake line extensions be and will i need anything else while i'm at it? Thnx for the help in advance... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 6\" Lift Question?

You will have to do something about the steering. What is happening is that the axle is further away now and the pitman arm is not long enough to make up the distance. You need to get a raised arm or something.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree on getting the raised steering arm.

4. BlaznRebel

ok i have the pitman arm for the lift. I bought it at the same time, I was just unable to remove the balljoint last night. I will replace it today. Are there anymore suprises I might run into with this little project of mine? already found I need longer brake lines. UHHHH UHHHH how hard is it to chng the arm if you have never done it hehe thnx again guys. Let me also say that 6" lift is d@mn high. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You still might have to adjust the steering to get the wheel centered. That should be no big deal though. You are also required to post pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You are also required to post pics.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought everybody knew that rule. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BlaznRebel

well what pics would you like to see she is pretty ugly. I'll post some of what she looks like with the lift and tires in a wek or two, by then i should have a camera. I have 200 miles on my new 388 stroker motor i put in and will be upgrading as i go. Future plans are for a 14 boltff in rear and whatever i can find for the front. Also will be building a roll cage in the next few weeks and adding 4 Kirkley aluminum racing seats in the next month or 2. Mabe even a rubberized liner to quiet down the internal noise. any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. And by the way i'm single so i have most of my money to spend on my truck with no arguments hehe

8. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

hmmm, ya that ball joint can be a pain in the a$$. Just finished my 6 inch lift. then again I'm still missing a few things, shocks.....

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ] Check out the Springer Suspension http://www.springersuspensions.com/index.html

10. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Remember those driveline angles... You're going to need to lengthen both shafts and preferably get a CV joint on the rear shaft (otherwise you get a little vibration @ highway speeds). Get 6 degree shims for the rear (make sure theyre steel, not aluminum) and maybe shim the front like 3 degrees. Good luck man.

11. BlaznRebel

Where can i get a high angle drive shaft for rear and how much do they cost? And possibly do they have them for the front also? Not sure i never had a truck this high before. I drove it some tonight just to get gas and i realized the vibrations. Also if i am planning to go 14ff in rear should i get the shafts now or should i wait? Will the vibrations hurt my transfer case at all? I know it's alot of questions but i really don't want to destroy my rig. Thnx again for the help and just to add another question can i just lengthen the shafts to work for the time being till i find a Dana 60 for the front?

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status