Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Jan 19, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

6\" lift questions

I put a 6" lift on the Sub and I want to know if I need to lengthen the drive shafts. I pieced the lift together there's no instructions. Thanks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift questions

Drive it. If there's vibration you'll at least need to lower the T-case. Go somewhere to max out the suspension and see if the shaft stays in the case. if it's ok, then you don't have to lengthen them. I did a 6" lift on an 86 k10 and we didn't need to lengthen the shafts.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I did not have any problems when I lifted my '79 K10. The only thing that I had to do was grind a little in the front driveshaft CV to stop it from rubbing

4. swiggettbj

swiggettbj Registered Member

I also have a 6 inch lift on my 91, I shimmed the transfercase down in the rear 1 inch. The front drive shaft came up about 4 inches too short. The brake lines will be tight enough to play music on. All you have to do is go down to the local parts store and get brake lines for a 2 wheel drive Sub.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I put the 6" SuperLift brake lines on. I'm still not sure if I have to shim the T-case. I have to get a longer drive shaft for sure, when I do that I'll have my front checked.