Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Feb 22, 2002.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

6\" lift questions

I'm planning on doing a 6" suspension lift in a couple months and want to know what all I'm going to have to plan on changing. Will the stock driveshafts work with this, or work with dropping the t-case a bit? Will I need some extended brake lines, and have to do anything to the emergency brake line to get it to reach? Anything else I need to be aware of with doing a 6" lift?

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift questions

Do you have the stock running gear... I'll assume you do...

Your frontdriveline will need a "block" superlift sells this fpr about 50 bucks... your rear shaft may or may not need it... plan on doing it eventually...
    I'd probably have it done to be safe... do new u-joints to... the lift will kill your old ones if there the original ones...
    The lift kits usually have some crumby brackets... they work fine for the brakes... but if you have the extra 86 bucks get the longer stainless steel braided ones... they look cool and wpork well when you have larger tires...

What brand are you looking at? Blocks springs?
    Make sure you get the steering correction components/.. the best kit for the money is probably rough country's 6 inch with rear blocks... everything for a Awsome price... i had there 4 inch and loved it...

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OH... get some 3 degree shims for the front ... they help with the angle... maybe even the 5 degree shims...

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what did you do with the 4''? still got it?
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

it's still on the blazer... i sold the blazer though... got a truck with the 6 inch now... i like it!

6. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the BDS 6" kit with rear springs, I've heard good things about this kit, but I'm keeping my options open. They claim that with the t-case drop I could keep the stock driveshafts. But I'm probably going to swap a 12 bolt or better in the rear, to run 35"s, so would I have to at least have the stock shaft modified, or is the 12 bolts yolk the same? I'd replace the stock shafts eventually anyway, since the front shaft has a lot of slack in the area where it slides, not sure what that areas called. It's about another 500 bucks for good shafts to be custom made, but thats a lot of money for now, but I'm so ready to have the K5 up in the air a bit. Thanks for the help so far.

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well you will need longer shocks (duh), drop pitman arm for a 6" lift, possibly have to drop your trasfer case. You stock brake lines will stretch just fine although after market steel ones are the way to go. Possibly shim your rear diff, for sure longer drive lines back for sure front only if you flex alot.

</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>
    "If First you don't succeed, Destroy all attempts you've tried"

8. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I am running the BDS 6" front spring. I had to have front drive line lenthened. I wouldnt drop your t-case. Brake lines are a must. Shims are also a must. Hope that helps

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The 12 bolt yoke is different than the 10 bolt. You can put the 10 bolt yoke on the 12 bolt, all you need is a special oil seal. The Napa part # for this is CR 19277. Then you won't have to change driveshafts or use a special u joint.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" susp. lift on my truck.
    The stock driveshafts will technically fit, but they will be almost at full extention, esp. the front.
    To give a simple answer, no they are not going to work. You can get away with stock shafts with a 4" susp. ,ift, but not with the 6".
    I converted from a 12bolt to a 14bolt FF so I needed a new rear driveshaft anyway. For the front, I tried to get away with using the stocker, but it kept pulling itself apart. I don't rock crawl so it wasn't too bad, but I got tired of getting out the 7/16" wrench and putting it back together, so I ended up having it reshafted longer. Works great.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have a 5.5" BDS lift and it is nice. Rides great! Here is the route I went which I think was the best bet for you as well.

I went with a CV shaft in the rear to avoid all the hassles with vibrations and that way the tcase can stay where it is. When you drop the tcase you will hurt the angle of the front shaft which require a larger shim up front... a larger shim up front, the worse your wandering and alignment will be. I run a 2 degree shime right now up front and am using a 1" Superlift driveshaft spacer to add length. I don't flex like a lot of guys do around here.

Some bonus info... don't forget the misc stuff... like ORD steerung box brace, ORD sway bar correction/disconnects, etc. Also if you haven't planned on it, I would plan on upgrading your valvetrain... one because you will want more gear... at least 4.10's for OD.. plus also if you don't have enough gear you will most likely kill your 700R4 tranny as well. Might as well just get 3/4 axles because it will be cheaper then regearing and you will add strngth as well. Final thought... since you have a 241 tcase in a 91... I would buy the fixed yoke kit for the rear so you can ditch the slip yoke setup. I have had noithing but problems there since my lift and I think it would be money well spent for strength.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>