Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MNorby, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6\" lift questions

I currently have 4" TC EZ ride springs in the front of my truck. Before I removed the 400 sbc they were starting to sag and "w" pretty bad and that was with no bumper. I almost have my 454 built and also built a winch bumper which will weigh abaout 100 lbs to go on the truck and I know it will finish off those springs. I like the TC brand suspension and was curious if the 6" springs have a stiffer spring rate to hold the extra weight of the BBC and extra front end weight. I don't wanna have to replace the springs again in a year because of them sagging like I am now. Also would a stiffer or double shock setup help too without loosing articulation? Thanks.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift questions

I also have a quick question about the 6" TC springs. I see on your site that they're not 6" EZ Rides, only the HD. Do they make EZ Rides in 6"? Whats the difference in the spring rate for the HDs vs the EZs? Thanks

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

TCI just has one 6" spring to cover both bases, they sell it to work with heavy trucks and lighter trucks. Obviously it's not going to be as well matched as having 2 springs but it works OK. Their 6" springs are a 4 leaf pack like the 4" HD springs and should handle the motor and bumper just fine. Typically if you have problems settling springs, there was a problem with the spring (happens but is pretty rare) or you need some bumpstops set to limit the bump travel of the springs. I'd recommend adding the bumpstops and some spacers to the suspension when you do the new springs and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

would I be better off with a rancho spring or something with like 5 or 6 leafs? I think my shocks had alot to do with my 4"ers sagging... or lack-there-of on one side for about a month after it broke. The truck has been airborn too which is probably hard on teh springs too.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It doesn't really matter what spring you put in there, if the truck flies, you need good bumpstops to keep it alive. Even our custom springs are only good with the bumpstops set up properly. Of course you get more travel before you have to use the bumpstop but you still have to limit the travel somewhere or the spring gets bent.