Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" Lift - Th350 - NP203 - 14BFF Driveshaft length?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Nov 5, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

6\" Lift - Th350 - NP203 - 14BFF Driveshaft length?

I'm running around in 'Front Wheel Drive' while I get a new driveshaft made for the beast. I'm a bit ahead of myself with the driveshaft as the 14bFF is still in the garage. Rather than getting a temporary fix, I'm planning to get the driveshaft done right and get this axle in. So, the question... I have a 1978 k5, 6" Lift - Th350 - NP203 - 14BFF. I'm looking to get as much flex out of the rear end as possible which will translate into a lot of driveshaft compression. I would truly appreciate any driveshaft measurements of anyone running a similar setup at fully compressed and fully extended positions so I can get this gear in and running, without having to temp it for too long. I think I'm going with a CV style but with either measurements, I can get the rest worked out. Oh, my axle housing center of the axle to center of the yolk u-joint is 14".
    Second, I'm getting quoted around $500 to get a larger diameter u-joint t-case yolk, a new heavy duty CV-joint shaft with spicers on both ends... any good?.. or should I keep looking?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 6\" Lift - Th350 - NP203 - 14BFF Driveshaft length?

$500 seems like a good deal if we're talking a 1350 CV based on what Jesse quoted me.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Good, I'd like to go with it as long as I can "guestimate" what the length and compression will be with my final set up. I'm thinking about cutting my rear shackles for a homemade compression setup, figure it would go well with a CV shaft, few shims here and there.

Three 4-6 foot air launches and not broken yet! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would suggest against cutting your mount. Get the front hanger for a 2wd truck and a lowering shackle and do it the safe way.

I'd rather not see people here express that cutting the stock shackle mount is okay. It's my opinion that would be suicide--and my friends think so too. It's just too easy to do it the safer way.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think mines about three feet long, but im about a block and a half away from my truck right now so i'm not sure, Seriously, $500 pretty good, i think when i had the Caddy CV added to my shaft it was around $500 for the CV the retube and the yoke, so $500 for the whole thing seems pretty good. If you want i can crawl nder it tomorrow and get some measurements, cause i have a th350, np203, 6" lift and a 14 bolt, are you trying to copy me? Liked my truck that much when you saw it at Truckhaven huh?, Haha, j/k. i'll try to get some numbers for you tomorrow.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You rock! I had nearly given up on getting some good measurements, I was going to fudge the numbers hard in both directions and hope for the best. I'd be happy with a measurement from the t-case tailshaft(just in case the yolk I get is different) to the center of the u-joint at the rear end yolk with the truck at rest. If you can see the wear marks on the slip shaft to how much it compresses that would help a ton as well (no pun inteanded). And yeah, I am copying you! [​IMG], actually, I missed the last run because of driveshaft issues. Now, with a new motor, new tranny, rebuilt t-case, new driveline and a new 14bolt... I'm ready to get out and bang up the undercariage a bit! Did you do the arrowhead run??? Thanks again, no telling how much money you just saved me!!!

Three 4-6 foot air launches and not broken yet! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

7. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

does anyone have pics of this cv shaft that you are installing.
    when i had my driveshaft redone after the 4" lift, the guy was telling me about this type of set up. he said the hardest part was finding the caddy part. can this still be bought new? or do you need to go junk yard shopping. also is it really that much more $$$ for it. i had mine done for $140, but mine is just like a stock drive shaft only longer.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Re: 6

I think hes probably doing a spicer style CV. I did the Saginaw style caddy cv, i think you can still get the parts new, i thikn mine was, but if you have the time i would go to a wrecking yard and see if you can find a CV out of a 76-78 Eldorado or similar, or i know my 69 riviera has the same CV's the joints are about $25 the rebulid kit for the centering ball is around $10 at Napa, but be sure you get a CV with the replaceable ball, mines not and i've worn it pretty good, so i'll eventually have to replace that part of the joint, (which is the half welded to the shaft) if you have those parts you could have a shaft shop retube it, weld it up and balance it, now for the yoke, i believe mine is a big flange unit ment for a dodge. It had teh right spline count and bolt pattern, but i had to source a new seal, which Napa usually has in stock when i can remember the number. Now this is all for the Caddy style, however, to be totally honest, if i had it to do over again, i'd probably go with a huge Spicer style CV, i think you can get more angle out of them.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So yes, I am going with the larger output yolk at the t-case and a larger spicer style CV. It's new from a supplier through the shop I'm getting it done at but I don't know who (I'll try and find out). Leland, you bring up a good point with the seal, I hadn't thought about that being different but its something I want to bring up at the shop.