Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift to an 8" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, May 17, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

6\" lift to an 8\" lift

Im going from a 6" lift currently a superlift softride to and 8" superlift kit. I already changed the steering arm, lengthened the drive lines. what else will need to be done to accomodate the new kit? I am getting so many conflicting answers.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 6\" lift to an 8\" lift

Pinion angle!
    You may need to have your spring perches relocated to correct your pinnion angle! Yes you may get away with shiming it but that would be the 'right' way to doit? I don't know!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If you're steering still doesn't turn that well, I have a 2" dropped draglink from Superlift I'd sell real cheap. Here's a pic of it.

Shawn
    87 K5

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

For the rear axel, tou will need to lower your T-case and tilt your pinion up and also run a CV joint. For the front, to do it properly, you"ll need to do whats known as cut and turn your nuckles to keep the proper caster angle. This process had cost me about 500.00 on my dana 60. If you dont rotate you"re front pinion you"ll go thru U-joints FAST. If you simplly shim and rotate the pinion up you change the caster angle and as a result, tires ware fast and the front wants to go all over which can be very dangerous. Hope this helps!

Don McKinney

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

So im ok with it right now as a 6" lift but I will have to make those pinion changes to the front drive line?. Already have CV joints already have tilted the diff and lowered the transfer case. what about shocks?

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

6. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

There is a possibility you"le need to change the shocks out. Check with the shock Mfg. What you dont want is to have your shocks to bottom out, or you will break the shock mounts off. One other thing to look at is, not to have your pinion stick too far up in the air or you will starve the front pinion bearing of oil. One fix for that is to re-drill for another drain plug so the oil will seek a higher level. Hope this helps.

Don McKinney