Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift w/ Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lonnie, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

6\" lift w/ Dana 60

I wanted to ask some opinions of a 6" lift w/ Dana 60 front axle.

I ask because I have seen the front springs contact the frame with stock shackles..... seems like a good reason to use extended units. Which ones have you had the best luck with or which springs are shorter to prevent this contact?

Did this require a shim for caster adjustment?

Also my understanding is that the 60 makes the front 1/2" higher.

With all the possible combinations, I'm unsure of the best option. I also want to do rear springs instead of blocks.

The truck is a '78 3/4 ton w/ 14FF rear & 502 engine. The 502 may drop the front slightly as well. I only want to do this once & would like it to sit level when I'm done, so any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Lonnie

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 6\" lift w/ Dana 60

ORD extended shackles are what you will want. www.offroaddesign.com I have them as well as many others around here. They add about 1 degree to castor which on bigger lifts(8"+) would be a concern. I'm not at all concerned on my 4" setup.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have an "89" with a 6" superlift HD spring in front with a D60 and 4" superlift rear springs along with a 3" block. Iam going to do a 4" shackle flip in the rear to get rid of the block though. When I swapped my D60 front it raised the front 3/4" higher due to the difference between the axle centerline to the spring perch of the 10 bolt versus the D60. I have not had any troubles as of yet and I still have the factory shackles in front.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My '90 has a 6" BDS all spring lift with ORD extended shackles and 1" zero rates in the rear. It did not require any shims, the 60 is a little taller than the 10b, and the ride and flex is much better than stock or the previous Pro-Crap lift the BDS replaced.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

As of now I have 6" ProComp springs with stock shackles, But when I swap in my D60 in the next month or two I will be adding 6" BDS springs and the ORD HD shackle...

Basically the softer a spring is and the more arch is has, the more potential it has to hit the frame...I have not oven come CLOSE to hitting the spring with the ProComp, but I fear the weight of my BBC, Dual batterys and my one wee-man that I keep under the hood to keep things in check in combonation with the SOFT bds springs will require the use of the slightly longer ORD shackles...

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

When I bought my truck it came with some hefty 1/2" thick 8" long (center to center) shackles. I find that with shackles this long, it will be great for the F150 spring swap in the front for articulation, but as it sits currently (with an unknown set of lift springs) the shackle angle SUCKS. The shackle is angled way too far forward.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    ORD extended shackles are what you will want. www.offroaddesign.com I have them as well as many others around here. They add about 1 degree to castor which on bigger lifts(8"+) would be a concern. I'm not at all concerned on my 4" setup.

[/ QUOTE ] Alans Right,Mine hit the frame, went to ord shackles and no more problems. also add ords greasable bushings, Well worth the money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Greasable is definetally the way to be. At the moment I'm sitting around waiting for my 14 bolt rear spring plates and my rear spring bushings(greasable from ORD). Then its shackle flip and 14 bolt time. I can't wait. Removing the 10 bolt today.

9. mudjunkie 82

Who's shackle flip are you using?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gonna do a homegrown then reinforce the stock hanger. If I ever go 57" ford I will probably get an ORD flip and just move it with longer shackle.

11. mudjunkie 82

Did mine with ords flip.went with the 4" one+ 8" springs for 12" supension lift.went in real easy. went with all greasable bushings in the rear also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif