Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" LIFT, WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6\" LIFT, WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET ???

I would like to get a 6" supension lift for my 76 Blazer. I've never done a lift befor. What would you recomened ??? About how much will a 6" lift cost ??? How hard is it to install ??? I've got a complete garage full of tools to use.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 6\" LIFT, WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET ???

Just get some solid steel blocks and put them between the axle and leaf springs on all four corners.
    Then get some flat steel and drill holes 6" apart to "lengthen" your shocks.
    Don't forget the longer u-bolts for the front and rear blocks, too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just kidding with all that cheesy info above!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, look into a soft riding company like BDS or Skyjacker.
    Do a search and ask around for more info. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard good things about BDS suspension lifts. My next lift (if I get another) will most likely be a BDS. Or a custom springs. As for install, the rear is easy, but the front is harder because of the steering components. Not too hard from what I understand though.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll be looking into BDS, know of anyone selling them at wholesale prices ???

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Could anyone tell me what a good 6" supension lift (non-blocks) will cost. Just a ruff figure, I'm adding up my project costs so I can figure out how soon I'll be able to build it up. I want the lift and tires first of all. The doubler t-case will have to come later.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i got 6" all spring with 6 shocks and a steering arm and all the extra doo-dads and hardware shipped to my house for 700 bucks...it was all superlift stuff...i didnt think it was a bad deal since it was front and rear springs...you might be able to find it even cheaper than that though...

Later

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How hard was it to install ??? I plan on turning myown wrenches.

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I like BDS myself, but looking at a truck with a 6" Tuff Country springs.

Go to the BDS main site at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bds-suspension.com>www.bds-suspension.com</a> and look for a distributor in your area. Their stuff is usually quite reasonably priced, but no big wholesalers sell it. So far they only deal with reputable 4x4 shops. Their based in Michigan, which is the state I live in, and there's only 3 shops within 50 miles of where I live that carry it./forums/images/icons/cool.gif All 3 know their stuff though, so I think that is the point. No 4WPW selling ProComp stuff at discount prices and putting it on wrong, etc.

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

pretty easy actually, have a few cans of PB Blaster handy to get any seized bolts unstuck. Shocks and springs arent that bad the worst part for me was the steering arm nuts(the conical ones...you guys that have done it know what im talking about) There are multiple ways to get them off but most of the time they are still a pain. I soaked them for about three or four days prior to putting the kit on and pounded on them with a 5 pound sledge. They finally popped loose after about 45 minutes to an hour of straight nailing it.

While youre in there you might want to look into swaybar disconnects and extended brake lines.

Im putting discos on mine now becuase when i put my lift on the swaybar went on a bit cockeyed. Brake lines are also a good idea if you are like me...started with a 6" kit now i have an 8" set of springs on it.

any more ?s let me know.

Later

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Me personally, I would go with a 4" BDS front springs and ORD 1" zero rares and a shackel flip in the rear. Then do a little fender trimming.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just can't bring myself to cut the finders, I might get some flairs tho. I realy want to go 6" supension lift and a 1" body lift. I think that'll look pretty good with 35s on it. I plan on alot of exploring in the Black Hills. I'm intrested in searching for the old ghost towns out in the sticks. The Black Hills has alot from the old gold rush days. Not much left of the ones near the highways, but the ones out in the sticks are still mostly intact. You just gotta go find them, and 4x4 is a must. Muddy trails, and a few rocks to get past.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

With 35" the combo I mentioned with a 1" body lift you might not even have to trim. If you look at my pics I have 35x14.50 on a 4" lift no body lift and just minor trimming at the bottom of the front fenders. I will have 38.5's on it soon with the same lift except I am adding a set of 3/4" offset zero rates in the front to move the axle forward 1". After that then it gets the full trim. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif