Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift...what tire would you run? 35/37? and goodyear mtrs opinion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Mar 19, 2007.

?

Size of tire?

1. 35

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. 37

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. nekkid

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

this is my dd mostly street truck. only offroad it sees is mud. im thinkin about goodyear mt/rs bc of their life, and ive heard good things about em.

ive got a 6' procomp lift. i know i can clear both tire sizes hell i can clear 35s now in the rear with aals...im looking for little if any fender trimming...

pics would be good too ;)

any review on the mtrs?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If your not flexing allot I would run 37's. If you want to flex it out and not rub you better stick to 35's.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I would suggest some of the bfg mt's instead, or event he pepboys mts, they seem to hold up really well, and are like 100 a tire!!

4. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

MT/Rs are fantastic street/rock dual-purpose tires. Probably the overall best you can buy. They, however, suck in mud.
    d

5. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

everything sucks in mud with you swamper guys... lol once you go bogger you never go back right

Stay away from claws/xterrains..that sort of tread pattern(clogggg)

Boggers, tsls, ltbs.. your best bet for mud.. but not very daily-driver friendly unless your a good driver with a thick wallet. BFG, Pro comp, MT/R, Maxxis Bighorns.. those are pretty standard daily driver MTs. The maxxis bighorn is like a MT/R.. but 30-60 bucks cheaper/tire.

BTW those pep boys tires.. i told you mindless(good name), they dont come above 35, and im not even sure they come in 35s. I was once quoted for 35s but now every pepboys i goto dosent have over a 33.

6. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

MT/Rs are a good wearing tire and a good all purpose tire. BFG muds are decent but very pricey. Interco tires are soft tread compound and tend to wear fast. Everyone I know running MT/Rs love them. And you cant compare a swamper to a BFG mud or something similar. They just don't have them big ole 2x4 like lugs. Also go 37s b/c you will wish you had when you went with 35s.

7. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

His gears might not be able to handle 37's?

8. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

there are 4 types of tires
    Highway terrain(OEM on most trucks)
    All terrain (BFG A/T, pro comp A/T, wrangler A/T...)
    Mud terrain (BFG, Pro comp, Kumho, Dunlop, MTR..Maxxis..)
    Xtreme Mud terrain - Swampers...pitbull.. BFG krwaler?

The more extreme you go, the crappier they handle on the road and the faster they wear. The BFG M/T and Goodyear Wrangler MT/R are both very good tires.. Check out prices, reviews, treadlife reports, etc on the tires you like most.

Edit-
    Lol mindless most of us building trucks this big know to regear =)
    But in your case 33s or even 35s may not always require a regearing..

9. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ive gone from 308s to 373s...im leanin towards 35s bc of that aspect. ive put 35s on my truck and im pretty happy with its performace...

id love to get 36 tsls's and run my 33a/ts daily...but a 6' lift with 33all terrains....kinda ugly lookin. lol

10. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

if you only have 3.73s i'd stay with the 35s. mine felt like a dog with 3.73s when i went from 33s to 35s, and that was with some engine work and dual exhaust. i like the bfg mt. i'm on my second set and would be staying with them if they came in a 37 r15. coopers discoveries are another good choice. they wear well and are pretty cheap. the stt looks like it would be a good all around tread. the new hancook dyna is supposed to be a good one too.

11. ratki

ratki Registered Member

I like my 35 BFG's with 4.56's. They wear well, have good road manners and do well in the mud. A wheeling buddy of mine doesn't really like his MT/R's on his Rubicon, which he can compare to his older ride with BFG's. For the road I think BFG's would last longer. I would agree as mentioned earlier that you'll wish you went bigger; I wish I did. It seems it always needs a little more. I personally think with 3.73's, 35's would be the limit and there's no denying that the BFG MT has proven itself worthy.

12. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

My vote as well. If you are running in the mud you have to get them spinning and 3.73's will be marginal with the 35's. Especially true if it's you DD, as you milage will suffer if your lugging it all the time.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 37" MT/R's and love them. They wear well, have great street manners and are good off road. I would not pick them as a mud tire, but they are excellent on trails/rock.

14. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

MT/R is NOT a "mud" tire. It stands for "Maximum Traction Reinforced"

They are actually very quiet on the street with good handling. I have them on my truck and on my Jeep. Love them.

If you're not changing those gear ratios I would stick with 35s.

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME Registered Member

Anyone remember a few years ago on the TV show called TRUCKS with Stacey David when he built an 88 K5 Blazer (big blaze) with a 6" lift with 37" Goodyear MTR's, I remember him saying that in the mud the truck really shined but the tires did rub on the front fenders a little when flexing the suspension offroad.

16. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

35s be yar best bet if you do flexing, iv seen road trucks with 38s and a 6 inch lift...but they do zero offroading.

17. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

MT/R'S are the way to go!!!

IMGP0088_resize.JPG

IMGP0222_resize.JPG

IMGP0221_resize.JPG

18. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Weather it be a 35" or a 37" 3.73's arn't gunna cut it . You best think about that area too.

19. super k

super k 1/2 ton status

I`ve seen tire tests where MTRs launched in the mud better than all others tested including M/Ts and SuperSwampers.They are the best all around IMHO.I run them on my`91 Suburban and love them.

20. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Im on 2.73s with a 350, th350, and 35s.. It is fine for me except the drivetrain stress... @ chris

Maybe i just have a strange truck.