Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XJOSHX, Mar 3, 2003.

1. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

6\" lift

I plan on doing a 6" suspension lift to my blazer soon. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should go with? What tpye of lift should I go with? I was thinking 6" springs or 4" springs and 2 inch shackles. any opinions or does anyone know of a really good kit with a ton of flex? I know I am never going to get the flex my samurai has but as of now my blazer needs a lot more articulation.

2. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" lift

most members go with a 4" lift. springs up front and an ORD shackle flip. the flip is 4" as well. you can find it at www.offroaddesign.com another thing people are doing to get better flex is to use f-150 springs in the rear. i dont know much about that, so id search for that answer. hope this helps.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll agree with the ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit. You can add 2" lift springs to it for 6" lift. Call ORD and have them put together a complete lift kit with everything you'll need.

4. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I am looking into that right now. Have any of you tried this lift? How well does it do? The lift I have been looking at was the skyjacker 6" lift. Do you guys think this one will out perform it? How much do you think it will cost total for the lift?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From what I've seen on here, the Tough Country springs are suposta have better flex. I can't speak from personal experence becouse I've got 6" Superlift "Softrides" up front. I have ordered the ORD 4" Shackle Flip Kit, and will be using 3" Tough Country, or BDS rear lift springs with them. I deffently want to get rid of the blocks in the rear. Right now I'm still gathering parts. (I like the rear slightly higher then the front, plus I do carry alot of wieght in the back of my K5)

6. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

How soft are your superlift springs? A friend of mine has them on his cj and they seem really really nice. I am trying to find the softest most easy way to flex this monster. ORD products seem to be pretty nice. If I were to get the 2" springs and the shackle reversal what would I have to do about drive shafts? do I need longer ones? On my suzuki I got extended slip yokes to take care of it. Where can I get some nice long rubber brake lines for the blazer?

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 4" Skyjackers up front and dont have any complaints. Seeing the pics of everyone flexing up I'd say they do just as weel as any other spring and aren't too bad of a ride considering. Now the shackle thing... I have a 1.5" lift shackle on the front of mine and dislpike it very much. I wouldn't go over 1" if i were to do it again. It messes up your turning radius pretty good and I have just grown to hate mine. That and if you have the same Y pipe as my 84 it puts your front diveline on the exhaust. I tore the exhasut off once because of running it hard in the dunes and the driveline hit it hard enough it tossed the doughnut and a collector stud. My $.02

8. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I think I have decided not to get shackles. I had them on my other truck for a while and they seemed to get in the way and be an all around pain. I ditched them in favor for coil overs but I bet they are really expensive for the blazer. I am still open to suggestions on the lift. ORD seems like they ahve some good products. How much do the f250 springs lift the blazer?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How soft are your superlift springs? A friend of mine has them on his cj and they seem really really nice. I am trying to find the softest most easy way to flex this monster. ORD products seem to be pretty nice. If I were to get the 2" springs and the shackle reversal what would I have to do about drive shafts? do I need longer ones? On my suzuki I got extended slip yokes to take care of it. Where can I get some nice long rubber brake lines for the blazer?

[/ QUOTE ] My Superlift fronts are okay, but from what I'VE BEEN TOLD, the Tough Country are suposta be flexier.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I have decided not to get shackles. I had them on my other truck for a while and they seemed to get in the way and be an all around pain. I ditched them in favor for coil overs but I bet they are really expensive for the blazer. I am still open to suggestions on the lift. ORD seems like they ahve some good products. How much do the f250 springs lift the blazer?

[/ QUOTE ] Befor you rule out the Shackle Flip Read This Keep in mind that The ORD Shackle Flip is designed for the Fullsize Blazer, and has been throughly tested.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

They are speaking of a lift shackle on the front.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have hill 4wd 1" lift shackles on my suburban and honestly i should have gone with the ORD shackles. they have messed up my front shaft, i need shims too. they kick your pinion down which is bad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i mean they are really beefy but they have caused more grief than happiness.

13. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

so far the shackle flip seems great......I am just avoiding shackle lifts as in longer front shackles. the shackle reversal seems pretty nice. how flexy are the ford springs and how much do they lift the truck? I finally got my blazer home today for the first time and my back passenger side leaf spring is broken (second leaf from bottom snapped and is dangling there) and the rear brak line is broken and held together with a vise grip!

14. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

ok I have been reading what you guys are saying and looking at project "UAV". I think I am going to peice together my own lift kit. Does this sound wise? Here are my plans; get the 4" shackle reversal with 2 inch skyjacker springs, ditch my god awfull 3 inch body lift that someone threw on the truck at some point, get 6" springs for the front, f250 shock mounts with procomp es9000 15" travel shocks, ORD sway bar disconnects, and misouri offroad outfitters rear long travel shock mounts. Will the shock I mentioned work with the f250 shock mounts the same way it did with the rancho's in project UAV?

15. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

just my $.02... you can do the rear flip yourself. just throwing it out there. there is a tech article written here a long time ago. cut the bottom outta the rear hanger and flip the shackle around. i jsut finished with my 63" springs and i did the econo flip... i will have to reenforce the hanger tho. and for shocks, look into Doetsch Tech shocks...VERY VERY beefy, and cheap, like $35 a piece. you can get them through summit.

just some opinions

16. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I guess thats another thing to look at. I am really lost on the shocks. Dotsch tech shocks might be what came with my coil over kit in my samurai but I am not to sure. I will call the place I baught it from tommorow. If that is the name of them (they are plain white) I am very impressed with their performance and would buy another set. thanks for the input.

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

6 inch Skyjacker Softrides in front, 4 inch flip in the rear with a 2.5 inch skyjacker spring in the rear, MY superlft springs were stiff as hell........ JMHO

18. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

so whats a decent priced really soft srping?

19. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im gonna buy Skyjackers 4 inch front springs when i decide to replace my front springs. Alcan springs are really soft, you can see them on the ORD website, but just remember Flex isnt everything, theres such thing as too much flex,

20. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

thats very true but I highly doubt my full size blazer to have to much flex unless I find some kind of miracle. I will also be shocked (no pun intended) If I ever decide on what I am going to do to lift this thing.