Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug 10 bolt shafts into 5 lug 12 bolt both 30 splines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pauly383, Nov 24, 2003.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

To make a long story short I blew up my GOV LOC ( I heard the noises two years ago and IGNORED THEM ). Truck still putts around yard despite the gaping hole in my case. I have a 12 bolt 5 lug rear with 30 spline 31 5/16 long axles and some 30 spline 6 lug 10 bolt shafts at my disposal ( but not here yet ) which are 31 5/16 long. Now as long as the bearing size is the same ( I think it is larger bearing on later 88-91 10 bolts) will these 6 lug 10 bolt shafts fit my 5 lug 12 bolt axle , or do I sell/trade for the smaller 10 bolt assembly. This 12 bolt came from the boneyard clean ( blown engine good body truck ) and open and ready for a locker as soon as I can afford one. Any help with these shaft questions would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Well I ended up checking it out and although they fit, the 10 bolt shafts let the axles move just enough that I am SCARED to run them. So I have sourced 12 bolt 6 lug shafts . I do appreciate the support though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The "button" on the inner end of a 10 bolt shaft (the amount of shaft that sticks inside the groove for the c-clip) is shorter than it is on a 12 bolt shaft. I have used a 12 bolt shaft in a 30 spline 10 bolt before, but you have to grind a little bit (maybe 1/8 inch or so) off the end of the 12 bolt shaft in order to be able to get the cross pin back in the 10 bolt carrier. What this means for you is that there will be a lot of end play if you use the 10 bolt shafts in a 12 bolt, maybe even enough to let the c-clips fall out but I am not sure. Otherwise, as far as bearing location and diameter, and shaft length outside the c-clip, they are identical.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The "button" on the inner end of a 10 bolt shaft (the amount of shaft that sticks inside the groove for the c-clip) is shorter than it is on a 12 bolt shaft. I have used a 12 bolt shaft in a 30 spline 10 bolt before, but you have to grind a little bit (maybe 1/8 inch or so) off the end of the 12 bolt shaft in order to be able to get the cross pin back in the 10 bolt carrier. What this means for you is that there will be a lot of end play if you use the 10 bolt shafts in a 12 bolt, maybe even enough to let the c-clips fall out but I am not sure. Otherwise, as far as bearing location and diameter, and shaft length outside the c-clip, they are identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that is the case he could probably lay a couple of passes of weld at the edge and then grind it to fit, that would take care of the slop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i don't know if that will weaken the metal at the C clip, just a thought.

If you were here close to me I would give you shafts for the 12bolt $10 a piece.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually I could use some 5lug 12bolt shafts now, if there is someone coming this way I would trade you.

4. pauly383

I would love to swap out axleshafts with you, but I wouldn't have time to arrange shipping and payment until after Thanksgiving. Too bad you aren't in Arizona. Probably I may even do something locally. I also saw lots of 8 lug stuff at the yard ( haven't been pillaged yet ) but I couldn't afford new rims , tires and rebuid the steering.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

New rims are $25-40 each. You can keep your old tires.

6. pauly383

I realize rims are cheap. But I could afford only 1 axle at this time not two, or one plus front rotors and plates. I figured 30 spline ( I have 28 spline 10 bolts now ) and a larger ring gear would be stronger for me at under 35 inch tires.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would love to swap out axleshafts with you, but I wouldn't have time to arrange shipping and payment until after Thanksgiving. Too bad you aren't in Arizona. Probably I may even do something locally. I also saw lots of 8 lug stuff at the yard ( haven't been pillaged yet ) but I couldn't afford new rims , tires and rebuid the steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I am not in a hurry, if you still want to do it after TG.
    Let me know by PM.