Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Lug 14bolt FF idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Mar 16, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok I want do know if yall this is a REALLY bad or REALLY good idea.

Measure the diamiter of a 14bolt FF Take the masurements to a machine shop(also measure the hub) Have them cut a you a pice of steel (½in thick) thats the same size as the 14bolt axle shaft end knock out all the studs but 2 that across from each other drill 2holes that the studs can go into when you slide on this plate of steel bolt on the 6lug wheel mark where the other studs should go take the wheel off and drill those holes (going though the axle shaft too weld the steel plate to the axle shaft and then grind down the welds put in the new studs. So what do yall think Im thinking to hard about haveing a 6lug 14bolt? or Do yall think its a good idea?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Check these out....from Echobit.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the link But I really like my idea better seems stronger and even cheaper

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think spending the money on the echobit setup would be worth it versus what your saying. Space out the width differences too.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok, first off the the hub and axle face plates need to be turned down to allow the 6 lug rim to fit on them (8lug rim center hole vs 6lug rim center hole) you will not be able to slide a 6 lug rim over that 8 lug hub. Second off, how are you going to hold your brake drum on? the 8 lug studs hold the drum and rim to the hub...

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, first off the the hub and axle face plates need to be turned down to allow the 6 lug rim to fit on them (8lug rim center hole vs 6lug rim center hole) you will not be able to slide a 6 lug rim over that 8 lug hub. Second off, how are you going to hold your brake drum on? the 8 lug studs hold the drum and rim to the hub...

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOD POINT what if I ran disks? Or re-drilled for 6lug and patched the other holes?

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if you read the write up at Echobit, the spacers use the 8 lug pattern to hold the drum (rotors) and the spacer ring to the hub, then the 6 lug pattern comes off the ring to hold the rim...do you have access to a lathe to turn the hubs and axle face plates down? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

but then you gotta turn down the hub, and maybe you dont want a wheel spacer, etc. I was always hoping somone would find a "cure" for the 14bff just like you can do a conversion to the front to turn it into an 8lug. buuuut, i alreayd bought 8lug rims so i dont care anymore lol.

9. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

or you can just do what i do and carry 2spares 18lug and 16 lug until i can switch over the front to 8 lug(cant seem to find the parts i need tonb make the switch ,if anyone has them hook me up please)Don

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    or you can just do what i do and carry 2spares 18lug and 16 lug

[/ QUOTE ] Damn you must be using some big assed wheels to have to have that many lugs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

im sorry i have some typos thats 1-8lug,and 1-6lug sorry ......soooo tired /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif