Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6-lug 14bsf shafts...where to buy from?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Apr 20, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am going to convert my 8-lug 14bsf to 6-lug. Have any of you guys had any experience with buying aftermarket shafts and where from?

Also, since I am going to replace my axle shafts would it be a good idea to replace the outer bearing? They spin fine but since I have it apart right now I was thinking about replacing it as well as the outer axle seal.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to convert my 8-lug 14bsf to 6-lug. Have any of you guys had any experience with buying aftermarket shafts and where from?

Also, since I am going to replace my axle shafts would it be a good idea to replace the outer bearing? They spin fine but since I have it apart right now I was thinking about replacing it as well as the outer axle seal.

[/ QUOTE ]

while we are on this subject now, id like to see if i can find out what the official first year of 6 lug 14 SF trucks were, 2wd or 4x4

any ideas ?

good luck 88K5 wish i knew where one such axle 6 lug version was for parts or whole for ya for a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I know for sure the 6-lug 14bsf rear ends were in light duty 3/4 ton pickups starting in 88. I had found an 88, 2wd donor rear end to pull shafts from but the shafts were too short. They were actually shorter than my 8-lug shafts from my 82 14bsf I have talked to a few guys and have pretty much nailed down the year for the correct length shafts starting in 92.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wouldn't it be much easier to just get the 8 lug to 6 lug adaptors ???

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Why not buy a 14b ff, then convert it to 6 lug and sell the 14b sf? If you are going to do all the work of making an axle 6 lug, might as well do it to an axle that is stronger IMO.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Because its a huge boat anchor & swapping shafts on a c-clip rear is about as easy as changing the gear oil.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't it be much easier to just get the 8 lug to 6 lug adaptors ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it would. That was my original plan, but the 8-lug drums I have are too big. My 15" wheels will not clear the drums.

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not buy a 14b ff, then convert it to 6 lug and sell the 14b sf? If you are going to do all the work of making an axle 6 lug, might as well do it to an axle that is stronger IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good plan but not for my application. Right now the Jimmy is my daily driver so I don't need the extra weight of the 14bff and I am pretty conservative offroad. Plus I am pretty confident that the 14bsf will be just fine form my driving style and 36" tires.

However, Z3PR gave me an idea. Are there smaller 3/4 ton 8-lug drums out there? I measured the inside of my wheels and they are a little over 14". Were there any 13" 3/4 ton 8-lug drums made?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep in mind that the adaptors will move your wheels out by 1.5" on each side, so you just might be able to clear the drums depending on the back spacing of your rims.