Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Lug 16.5"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Does anyone make cheap steel 16.5" 6 lug wheels? I can't find them anywhere! I found some 6 lug H3 wheels that are cheap, that are 16", how hard is it to cram half an inch of tire in there?

2. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

You could get some h1 beadlocks, and get custom centers with the 6 lug pattern. It is a pretty inexpensive beadlock and you could get the lug pattern you want too.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The Tire People tell you never ever to put a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim or vice versa.

I think the guys who scrape you off the road would be consoling your widow in ways generally unacceptable to you. :D

-- A

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I see. So where does one take these beadlocks and what does he ask for at the I believe machine shop? Can they ever be turned back into 8 bolts?

5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Mother of pearl those are high on ebay, there from civilian wagons though. doesnt someone on here every now and then sell them with tires? They buy them in like 50's from the online auction? I have the auction sites, but don't need 50...

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too late..I already sold them!

I just sold 5 of those stock 6 lug 16.5" rims to a guy for his boat trailer!..:doah:

I had them for 20 years,came off a 1971 K10 GMC truck I had many years ago..so GM DID make them,but they are pretty rare,I think only 50's and 60's GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks had them as an option,and some of the "flat nosed" old Chevy vans that were 6 lugs until 1970 or so..most 6 lugs were 15"..and the ones I had would not clear disc brake calipers without spacers,when I ran them on a later 4x4 with discs..only 5" wide too,maybe 6" at most..

You might try a trailer place,the guy I sold mine too said they wanted 50 bucks each,for new ones (some HD trailers use the same 6 lug pattern)..

I sold all 5 of mine to him for 50!..had them long enough,and the dry rotted 8.75/16.5 tires were like iron,all petrified..glad I'm not the guy who had to dismount them!..:rolleyes:

7. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Dangit. Well keep your eyes on the lookout for the military ones for me. So once an 8 lug is turned into a 6 lug how hard is it to turn it back into an 8 lug?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I picked up some 6-lug 16.5s at a swap meet once. They were AR's still in the box. Looked like a chrome/steel version of an Outlaw II (series 62). I don't see them on the website... probably discontinued now though. :(

I had a pair of 6-lug/16.5 wagon wheels also.

You might get lucky at a pick'n'pull yard ;)

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a set of 4 H1 double bead lock rims to sell. They are 16.5 with 8 lug inners. Theay have the mag runflats still. They are the 12 bolt locks and have the rapid air down valves already in them. PM if you are interested. Could have a machine shop cut the 8 lug inners out and find some 6 luggers and weld in.

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I was told by someone not to do 16.5"s because of a 45 degree angle bead instead of 90 degree. also most larger tires he said required 17 inch rims. Any comments?

11. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

not sure about the 45 degree thing, but the 16.5" rims don't have a safety bead, for the most part. There are a few stock GM rims that did have them if i remember correctly, but almost all aftermarket don't have the safety bead. Its usually not a big deal till u try to air down...then it becomes a big deal. 17s are becoming more popular nowadays, but theres still plenty of tires made for 15s and 16s. My 40" swampers are on 15" rims.

12. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

yes but what about 16.5s? neither a 16 nor 17 will work right on a 16.5, so i thought, which is only a quarter of an inch the whole way around.

13. diesel4me

Search!!

The first place I tried on a Google search,"Trailer Parts Superstore",has 16.5" GALVANIZED "round hole modular" 6 lug rims with 5.5" bolt circle,and 4-1/4" center hole,6-3/4" wide,for 65.50 each!.(Part # 1350105)...I'm sure if you try searching further you could likely find plain steelies for 50 bucks or less apeice..not too bad a price for brand new rims!..:o

Don't even think about mounting ANY other size tire on ANY rim!!..if you like having your head attached to your neck that is..I've seen guys blown apart from airing up a 16.5 on 16" rims accidently!..and others who lost control of the truck when it took a 65 mph ride to let the beads give way..:eek1:

14. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Eww. So i might just go 17 steelie. Did any trucks come with 17 stock or option that i could look for at a junk yard? also a 12" tire on 6.5" inch width would look rather odd.

15. diesel4me

maybe??

I'm doubtful any 17" 6 lug rims are out there,maybe aftermarket ones that are $$$$$$$..only a few later trucks are using 17" ones..and probably not too many in junkyards yet...I'm unsure if GM ever used 17" on 6 lug trucks..

They had some 17" rims on older "P" series step vans,but they were all 8 lugs if I remember right..--they also used 19.5" rims and tires on "P" series 3/4 and 1 ton "Step Vans".. 8 lugs..
    I took 4 19.5"tires and rims off a 60's step van,and tried them on my 74 K20!,when I worked at the junkyard!
    Itlooked very "Military",and I loved the way it raised it 6" with NO lift kit!..but they hit the calipers,and I had to grind them some,and added a few washers behind the rim on each stud..it wobbled like a drunken sailor,and the 900.19.5" tires were dry rotted,so I sold them to another guy with a similar van who needed spare rims..

Its very possible to put 12.5" wide tires on 6.75" rims..it does make the center of the tread ride higher and wear out a bit sooner,but that isn't always a bad thing,since most 4x4's burn the edges off the front tires long before the center,even with the "proper" width rims..and the "skinnier" the rim,the more the sidewall protects the beads..sort of a "poor mans beadlock"..I think they look kinda cool that way too..:crazy:

16. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

17. diesel4me

52.65????..I'd BUY those!

Those are pretty nice wheels,and a lot cheaper than I thought they would cost at only 52.95 each!:eek1: ..if you have 17" tires,I guess those would be the cheapest way to go..and I prefer steel rims over aluminum or mags off road by far..:crazy:

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned