Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug - 8 lug questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by westn11, Oct 8, 2004.

1. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 89K5 that I got from my brother last year when he died. I have purchased a 14FF(Detroit, 4.56's, disk brakes). I also have a 60 for the front but currently dont have the money to build it the way I want. The scenario is this... I want to put the new rims and tires on the truck, but cant becuase of the 6 lug fronts. I'm thinking of doing the 6 to 8 conversion so that I can get the truck on the road and then save up to finish the 60 for the front. What do I need to get to do the 8 lug conversion(parts, year, make, etc.)? Is it even possible?

thanks

2. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

front hubs, rotors, backing plates from a 1977 or later IIRC. You already have a large bearing hub so that will not have to be changed. You can also use your old calipers so you don't have to get new ones.

I did the same thing on my suburban, you can se the pics in my webshots link below.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You need 8 lug spindles , bearings , rotors/hubs , and backing plates from a 10 bolt or d44 front . You may reuse your locking hubs if the donor 3/4 ton is internal . You also reuse your axles . You also do not have to crack your brake lines open , just reuse your calipers . It is fairly simple . There is a write up here in the technical section /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why not just toss in the D60 now? Why can't you upgrade it with it under the truck?

5. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I still need to decide if I want a Detroit or selectable locker in the 60. I also want to upgrade the steering when I install it. I just kinda like to split a big job into little steps :-) By doing the 8 lug conversion I can go ahead and put the 14 bolt and rims and tires on. Its just the way I like to do things... Some people like to take it ALL apart and put it back together as they get money and time. When I try that, I loose focus and it takes forever to finish. I like to do things in steps... keep the truck on the road.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just wait until you're done with both axles before you swap them in, or run 6 lug front 8 lug rear temporarily.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I still need to decide if I want a Detroit or selectable locker in the 60. I also want to upgrade the steering when I install it. I just kinda like to split a big job into little steps :-) By doing the 8 lug conversion I can go ahead and put the 14 bolt and rims and tires on. Its just the way I like to do things... Some people like to take it ALL apart and put it back together as they get money and time. When I try that, I loose focus and it takes forever to finish. I like to do things in steps... keep the truck on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just sounds like a waste of money to do the 8-lug conversion when you already have a D60.

A D60 is a direct bolt in. When you buy the crossover you can bolt it on the passanger side, bolt in the 2wd steering box and be done. Gears are set up with the axle in the truck all the time. I just don't see what the problem is that would make you go thru all the hastle of finding all the parts, the money of buying them, and the time of swaping them onto an axle you are just going to ditch anyway.

Sounds like a loose, loose, loose situation...but it's your $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

I'll trade you all the parts for the 8 lug conversion for the D60 and save you the trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hijack : on :
    Blazerpunk,

I saw your add in the forsale area, just don't have PM capability (not a paid member). I'm interested in your backing plates and spindles to go from 6 to 8 lug and I'm in Pueblo. Might be interested in the tires too. Email me at yenkonova@aol.com if you still got the parts.

Thanks!

Hijack : off :