Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug 9.5" 14SF axles available (NEW ones)

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stephen, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

6 lug 9.5\" 14SF axles available (NEW ones)

I have a chance to pick up some 14 bolt SF 6 lug rears brand new. I kind of have to wait till I see them to find out gear ratios, they have a mix. 3.73's are probably most available, 4.10's should be too. Price is $800 for it. I also don't know the brake options, they may have discs out of late model trucks, I don't know. We can't stock any of them, but I am willing to pick them up if anyone wants to buy one.

Now for the kicker, I need to know pretty quick. I'm loading up next wed. Probably what I will do is take a credit card number, then not charge it till I have the axles in hand (truck) and know the condition and gear ratio for sure. That way you're not paying for something that I don't have for sure. This is kind of a quick deal, but if anyone was thinking about using a 6 lug SF, it makes it easy.
    Delivery is kind of available between minnesota and colorado, I'm going to be driving I-70 or I-80 for a long ways through there and could drop them off if you're on the way.

You will most likely have to modify the spring perches and shock mounts, they're from later model IFS trucks, but the track width should match up pretty close at around 67-69".

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: 6 lug 9.5\" 14SF axles available (NEW ones)

How rare are 6-lug 14bolt SF? Also how many spline axles do they come with. I am thinking about running 35's but I dont know if my 10-bolt is up to the challenge. I dont do any extreme off-roading and I drive on the conservtive side, but I want my beef to be there when I need it. I won't be able to get one now, just curious as to how rare they are.
    Thanks

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: 6 lug 9.5

As far as I know, rare - very rare. Shame no-one has taken advantage of this opritunity. This is a golden find. It realy is.
    9.5 ring, 1.somthin' fierce axle shaft dia. (I think they are in the 1.5 range or above, can't remember for sure) 6-lug. It would be hard to brake one of those...If <font color=green>Stephan </font color=green>would have caught me about a year and a half ago, I would have been all over-it.
    Guess it's a timeing kind-a-thing, X-mas comeing up and all...

<font color=blue>Twiz

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

6 lug 14 SF came on '88-'98 LD trucks.....we we trying to figure this option out by codes over on the ORC BBS, but we still aren't sure.

take a look under a 1500 4x4 w/ Z71 package and you'll eventually run into one. i'm thinking the 14 blt SF is available w/o the Z71 package as well.

oh yeah, check out those 2500 6 lug diesels that chevy/gmc put out in '94....there might be some under there too.

i would love to get a 6 lug 14 bolt SF...unfortunately, i don't have the money right now to buy one from this deal [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

id buy one but i already got a set o bitchen axles :)!!

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not sure on the axle shaft diameter (1 3/8" I think) but the SF axle is a 33 spline...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Could you still run a 15" wheel with one?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could run a 15 Aluminum or steel wheel with no problems.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

9. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would be interested in one with 4.10 or 4.56 gears and disc brakes.

1972 Black CST Blazer, 350/415 HP, TH350, NP205, 4" Springs Front/Rear, AGR Variable Ratio Steering, 15X8 Ralley Wheels and 35X12.50 BFG Mud Tires.

10. Stephen

turns out these are actually 8 lug axles, but we can swap 6 lug shafts into them. but they have no brakes. at all, not even drums. So I passed on the deal for now. If we can put together a quantity order, maybe I can get them all converted to 6 lug and put together a disc brake kit for them, but I still don't envision them being under about $1200.00 after the perches are moved.
    They are a nice axle, easily the match of any 1/2 or 3/4T front axle in strength. I think it's 1.37" 33 spline with a 9.5" ring gear. Comperable to a D60, give or take all the variables.
    The axles probably aren't going anywhere right now, so I backed off a little to decide just what I can do with them for price and options. I think they are THE swap for a 6 lug K5, and not even that bad for 8 lug. In a heavy truck I don't know if it's that great of a deal when matched with a D60 front. I'm just not sure it's up to handling over 38" tires with a D60 in the front.
    We'll see what happens, it's not over yet.

SW-ORD

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The 6 lug 14SF axles came in 88 and up 1/2 tons with the <font color=red>F44</font color=red> options code. Something to do with the heavy duty trailering package, but not a part of it. Like if you order it and something else you get the axle, we haven't nailed that part of it down yet. Fallin' asleep Shorts?[​IMG]

They also were under the 2500LD 3/4 tons, the 6 lug light duty three quarter tons. The IFS 4x4's have the same track widths as the solid axle trucks do, so basically rear axles are 3" narrower than their front axles.

BE WARNED, the 2500LD <font color=blue>2 WHEEL DRIVE</font color=blue> is also 6 lug. However, it's rear axle is even narrower than the 4x4 rear axle, as with all 2wd rear axles.[​IMG] Someone over on the ORC/Chevy board did this, and after they put it in they discovered it was like 4-6" narrower than their front axle.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff [​IMG]

12. Stephen

We've found the IFS truck rears to be the same width as a 6 lug solid axle front, both right around 67-67.5". I think that's what was said earlier but just to make it clear.

SW-ORD

13. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

AJM, i could never fall asleep while we're decoding the General [​IMG]

...nor when we're repeating the amazingly detailed info we've stored in brain...you know, the kind that doesn't seem like a lot until you type it and explain every nook and cranny [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

14. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I just picked up an 8-lug SF 14-bolt. What is the best way to approach converting it to 6-lug? Are the 6-lug axles and drums readliy available? Can I buy them new, and for how much?

Just trying to decide if I want to keep this axle and convert it to 6-lug, or go ahead and sell it.

Thanks!

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

15. Stephen

Pull the shafts out, have them with you when you call along with a tape measure. We may be able to match up the length with a 6 lug shaft. Past that you have to come up with 6 lug brakes (discs would be easiest) and you're there.

SW-ORD