Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug and 8 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if it would matter (other than the wheels) if I had a 6 LUG 10 blt in the front and a 8 LUG 14 blt in the rear. I don't want to change the 6LUG to 8LUG because someday I want a D60, I just need to know if it will mess anything up as far as function of my sub to have the 2 different lug patterns???? Also my sub has a stock 12blt in the back can I just put in the 14blt, or do I need to change anything (ie spring perches, shock mounts, spring hangers, etc....)???? THANKS

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll be carrying 2 spares... :doah: :wink1:

3/4 ton 14bff will bolt right up.. 1 ton perchs would need to be moved..... iirc you'll need a conversion u-joint...

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

This will show you my inexperience. What's a conversion u-joint? Do you mean the u-joint in the end of my driveshaft? By the way I've got a np208 with a slipyoke. (wish somebody made a kit to get rid of it)!!!!

Thanks for the info!

4. ryoken

correct... Think its a 1310/1350 conversion, but don't hold me to that.. Someone will be along with the right #'s on that if you need... Yoke is different on the 14b...

And yup, I have a slip 208... Gotta fixed 205 sitting in the garage going in at some point...

5. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Can I just get the different size u-joint? Will it fit in my stock driveshaft?? Or does the conversion part of it mean that the u-joint has 2 diferent size ends, so that 2 fit the yoke and 2 fit the driveshalt?

6. ryoken

correct

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That is correct. The Napa part number is 348.;)

8. ryoken

haha, good guess.... :o :wink1: considering I haven't done it...

9. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

THANKS man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bladwin

bladwin Registered Member Premium Member

Check out offroaddesign.com 's burly burb write up in the project vehicle section of their website, It will give you a good idea of what needs to be done

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my geuss is you are running 15" wheels right now. You will need to buy 2, 8 lug 15" wheels if you plan on keeping all your tires. When you do go to a 60 then you can either get 2 more 8 lug rims and grind your calipers. or buy 4 16, 16.5, or 17" rims and all new tires. The parts needed to swap a 10 bolt to 8 lug are easy to come by. I have 2 sets laying in my garage from axles I have parted out.

12. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i can't believe no1 said anything about gear ratios...they have to match also or be pretty dang close like 4.10 and 4.11 if not your frontend will try and turn a different speed than your rearend ,i just assume that you maybe didn't know that since you never heard of a conversion u joint.

13. gmc4cw

Most people forget the obvious. X2 on matching the ratios.

14. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Yeah I was going to run 4.56 front and back because the 14blt I'm buying already has the 4.56 gears in it and I was just going to install the 4.56 in the front to match. That would work rite??

15. gmc4cw

what happened to the front diff that went with the 14 bolt. swapping U-bolts is easier then setting up gears.

16. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I'm buying a new 10blt for the front and a new 14blt to replace the stock 12blt in the rear. I don't even know what the gears the guy has in the 10blt are but I know the 14blt has 4.56 gears. So I am going to bolt them both up with the new conversion u-joint in the back and the front is just a straight swap out because the stock is a 10blt. Once they are in I can drive it (in 2wd) to a shop and have 4.56 gears put in the front to match the rear. Then I am good to go RITE???? Other than I will have a different lug pattern 6 in front 8 in back.

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

18. gmc4cw

why not just regear the 10 bolt front you have now?

19. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Because the current 10blt is junk and needs to much work (that I can't do yet) so I'm just going to replace it.

20. gmc4cw

In order to regear the axle the shop is going to need to pull everything except the knuckles. It's not that much extra effort to rebuild things like balljoints or u-joints in the axleshafts. You won't need to unhook brakelines, which means you won't have to bleed the brakes. No U-bolts to buy or cut off and replace. At least with the axle you have you know/think its junk. the one you are buying could be worse. maybe its bent. was the truck in an accident? why are the axles being pulled and sold? Most of the ones in my area are scrapped because the body rots away.