Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug bolt pattern????--The IFS vs. SFA

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ut77gmc, Apr 21, 2003.

1. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

I get much conflicting information and flunked on the search on POR {lots of swapping going on there} and here.........

I've got a line on a nice set of 6 lug 16" wheels/tires with Michelins that I can trade for my 15" 6 lug wheels/tires (Pep Boys sweeties /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ) on my 'burb.

QUESTION: Has anyone swapped an IFS 6 lug to a SFA bolt pattern?

TIA......

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I believe they are all the same 6 on 5 1/2. All six lugs are the same as far as I know.

-Brian

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

the differnece i would be concerd about would be the hub cutout, but it should be the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The backspacing might be diferent too. Some IFS systems run more backspacing in their rims, not sure about GM though.

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey....
    I have 2 of those rims that you speak of. They will fit on a semifloating rear axle..but they will NOT fit over the hub on any front axle. Also...THe backspacing is fairly deep so it might not work on a 14sf...because of hitting the brake drum.
    Blake

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Aftermarket wheels usually have a 4.25" hole in the middle (to make easy use of common centercaps). Stock SFA wheels have a 3.5" hole in the middle. You need to find a wheel with a 3.5" or bigger hole in the middle. Just about all wheels have that size hole or bigger. Even most 'yotas came with holes bigger than that in the middle.

Next, IFS trucks have 14mm studs whereas we have 7/16" studs. That means if the wheels are thin steel the cone of the 7/16" lugnut will go through the 14mm-designed hole and hit the rotor/hub/drum without pinching the wheel.

Lastly, you have to watch backspacing. Most IFS stuff has around 5.5" of backspacing. Put a 16" 5.5" backspacing wheel on a SFA and more than likely it'll rub on the centerlink ends. I know it will on a 15" wheel but I suspect it'd rub on a 16" wheel as well.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a set of aftermarket aluminum wheels that came off a IFS truck. bolted on like they came that way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. i have to use my old lug nuts though. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can take the late model 6-lug wheels to a machine shop and have them cut the middle out so it clears the hub.

9. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are these wheels off a 1500 4WD or the light duty 2500 2WD. The 1500 4WD rims will have the deep backspacing while the light duty 2500 2WD rims have less back spacing and may fit the SFA better.

(edit 5 years later) The light duty 2500 2wd rims have a smaller hole in the middle won't fit the hub on the sfa.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008