Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug conversion on 2wd pickup possible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Apr 11, 2007.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i just picked up a 2wd 1994 chevy pickup and its 5 lug. id like to get a 14sf for it and the 5 lug version is super super rare. also finding wheels would be alot easier at the same time.
    so the quesiton is what all is needed to swap the front end to 6 lug?

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

But won't the only series trucks with hub assemblies and 6-lug be 4wd? Would that work? Could you just bolt the 4wd hub on and leave it open. (no axle going through it?)

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some of the 2wd 3/4 ton trucks (88 and newer) are 6 lug. my grandpa had a 91 c20 that was 6 lug.

im not sure if the rotors are different sizes or not, but if they are, i don't think the caliper mount removes from the knuckle. so you may have to swap knuckles out. calipers should be the same.

4. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hmmm ill look into it. i cant figure the hubs are that expensive.
    that would make finding alot of stuff way easier and i cant stand the 2wd wheels anyways

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

here ya go boys. info on 88-up 6 lug swaps.

5lug to 6 lug is good to go. just dont have sticker shock if you buy new 6 lug rotors. but you cant swap 8 lug donw as far as i know. the spindle is bigger on the 8 lugs.

then just get the 14sf 6 lug rear end.

dont forget to do the drac / speedo box switch mod for the gear ratio change that might happen and also the tire size diffrence.

most 6 lug c20ld trucks are 3.42 or 3.73 ratios.

and see if you have abs on the front as i dont think the 6lugs had the tone rings on the rotors to keep the abs from 5 lugs. not 100% on this tho.

we have done this swap on 2 trucks at work real easy. one on customers and 1 on mechanics lowrider. slamed truck as he liked the rims better in 6 lug for the styles.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

sweet thanks for the info. ill probably dig around some junkyards first and if i come up with nothing ill bite the bullet. id like some lower gears and better tires/wheels