Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug front 10 bolt swap to 8 lug front 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Jan 18, 2004.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Doing the 14FF rear soon and wanting to just put a 3/4t 8 lug front 10 bolt. I currently have the 6 lug front 10 bolt.
    What all will swap from one to the other?
    steering arm?
    ext brake lines?
    shocks?
    d-shaft?
    u-bolts and plates?
    swap bar?

any surprises?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

everything will interchange except for the rotors, pads, and, i think the calipers are different also between 8lug and 6 lug 10 bolt

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    everything will interchange except for the rotors, pads, and, i think the calipers are different also between 8lug and 6 lug 10 bolt

[/ QUOTE ]

Hubs rotors and backing plates are the only difference as long as we're talking about 10 bolt fronts.

Calipers and pads will go on the new axle. The 3/4 ton pads are thicker but the 1/2 ton pads will work fine.

4. 88jimmy4x4

Yes they are both 10 bolts. Its a complete diff with brakes. Im glad there will be no hidden problems on the swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing that is very important...What is the gear ratio in the 14FF? Gear ratio in your current 10b? IF they are not the same then I would bet you would be money ahead to just look for a 10B 8 lugger with the same ratio as the 14FF and sell your current 10B for whatever you can get for it; then trying to gather all the parts and having a gear shop install a new R&P. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hubs rotors and backing plates are the only difference as long as we're talking about 10 bolt fronts.

Calipers and pads will go on the new axle. The 3/4 ton pads are thicker but the 1/2 ton pads will work fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am in the process of selecting rims (bart supertruckers 15x10) for my 8 lug 10 bolt swap and 14 bolt s.f. If the calipers are the same on the 6 lug vs. 8 lug will grinding still be needed to run a 15" 8 lug rim? Also if you run 15" on a 8 lug set up can you still get the wheel balance weights to work.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If the calipers are the same on the 6 lug vs. 8 lug will grinding still be needed to run a 15" 8 lug rim? Also if you run 15" on a 8 lug set up can you still get the wheel balance weights to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

The calipers are the same, but the rotors are different diameters....the 8-lug being larger. The calipers are mounted further away from axle centerline to acccomodate this. You will need to grind to fit 15" rims.....how much depends on the rim's backspacing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Wheel weight that are mounted on the wheel lip(not the stick-ons) will work fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Beast 388 is absolutely correct.

I went with 4 1/4" of backspacing. You'll be shocked when you see just how much grinding is necessary to clear a wheel with that much backspacing.

That said I have no regrets. I like having my tires tucked in. Especially with 16" wide tires, you can never have enough backspacing.

9. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

The Bart super truckers have a 3.5 b.s. Guess that will be about 1/2 the caliper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I still am trying to decide the pros and cons of running steel 15" black wheels /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifusing my current 33x12.5x15 or stepping up to 16" aluminum bling blings /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif and new tires.

10. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing that is very important...What is the gear ratio in the 14FF? Gear ratio in your current 10b? IF they are not the same then I would bet you would be money ahead to just look for a 10B 8 lugger with the same ratio as the 14FF and sell your current 10B for whatever you can get for it; then trying to gather all the parts and having a gear shop install a new R&P. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nono, its a totally different 10B 8 lug with gears that match the 14FF. I was just making sure that my brake lines, steering arm and d-shaft would all interchange for when I go to swap the 6 lug to the 8 lug 10B. I normally get these hidden surprises that nickle and dime me to death so Im trying to plan ahead.

Will 16x10 wheels with 4.25"BS fit the 10B 8 lug?

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    nono, its a totally different 10B 8 lug with gears that match the 14FF. I was just making sure that my brake lines, steering arm and d-shaft would all interchange for when I go to swap the 6 lug to the 8 lug 10B. I normally get these hidden surprises that nickle and dime me to death so Im trying to plan ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oops... sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Will 16x10 wheels with 4.25"BS fit the 10B 8 lug?

[/ QUOTE ] yep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

13. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess Steve needs to save server space and dump well writen stuff like this http://www.coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml cause nobody looks at the front page. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but Im swapping in different units not doing a conversion /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif