Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug semi floater

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Mar 1, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i found a semi floater off an ifs rig and i cant tell what year its from cause its just a chassis, but its post 88 i guess. it has the super long rear springs too. he wants 250 for it and i dont want to pay 250. what can i say to talk him down to 100? or even just a little. are there common problems? i am geussing it has 3.73 or close to that but i have no idea. i would have to regear it to 456 and put a traction device in it and finaly what traction devices are commonly availible for these?

or would it be more cost effective to 8lug the front 10b and go ff from a cucv. they go for around 500 here.
    thanks for the help again

2. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Depending on how much of the work you can do yourself, you might want to go with a FF. The SF will need the perches and shock mts relocated. A detroit is about 5 bills. Of course re-gearing. Evaluate both options, then go from there. Good luck.
    Joe

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Is it a 14SF or a 10 bolt? If it is a 14SF I would get it for $250 that is a great deal.

Ira

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not even close to worth it in your case.

Gear set (was just looking, but might have been the kit) from Summit is $200, so even if you talk him down to $200, you are looking at $400 JUST for the rear axle and gears. Then add in the time and hassle of perch and potential shock mount issues, plus gear setup, and traction device, the overall cost and time will be high.

The only traction aiding diff GM used in the 14SF in trucks (Hummers apparently get the e-locker?) is the gov-lock, and the mechanism unfortunately isn't any better than the 10/12 bolt versions, only a stronger carrier. Another potential downside to the 14SF.

If you've got really expensive 6 lug wheels and 15" tires, maybe the cost would somewhat be offset, but I doubt it.

3.42 and 3.73's seem to be the most common ratios. Unsure if others were available. Probably not 4.56. :)