Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 lug shafts in 8 lug SF housing- more questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, May 25, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

been doing a lot of searching on this and it seems in order to use the 8 lug (pre-88) housing with the 6 lug shafts you end up with safts that are 1/2 too long and end up having to space the brakes out. does anyone make an aftermarket shaft the correct length, or is there enough spline to have the shafts cut down a 1/2". also, i would like to stay drum. can 12 bolt backing plates and drums be made to work?

i could go for the 88 and up houseing and have a complete deal and just move the pirches and shock mounts. only these are hard to find and the junk yard here wants $750 plus $200 core /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the length, but if you get them cut down,you'll end up machining the axel as well for the C clip.

May be cheaper just to change the front to 8 bolt and get some 8 bolt rims.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know about the length, but if you get them cut down,you'll end up machining the axel as well for the C clip.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, duh. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif didn't think of that.

i want to stay 6 lug on this deal though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was just getting ready to find that one! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

John

Almost ready to swap all that stuff in. All I need is the backing plates and I am ready to go! Get this, I called a local salvage and they wanted $150 for the backing plates and brake hardware /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Since I am going to replace brake hardware anyway, it was basically $150 for the backing plates. I quickly hung up the phone, lol

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get this, I called a local salvage and they wanted $150 for the backing plates and brake hardware

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if all yards work this way... When I worked at a boneyard, "backing plates and brake hardware" were two complete loaded backing plates as they come off a rear end - including usable e-brake cables. $150 sounds like a fair price if they were this complete.

The jobber hardware kits are only springs and clips - not all the small parts required to assemble drum brakes from scratch.

Has anyone tried using the old 11" backing plates from a 14FF? I know the semi-float and full-float use the same size axle tube and backing plate flange.

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I had a 1973 14 bolt and a 1987 10 bolt side by side and I compared the backing plates and they *looked* the same. The reason I was looking is: I had a 1978 12 bolt with smaller brakes than the 14 or 10 so I was looking into swapping to the bigger ones. I used the ones off the 10 because the drum would work too but I *think* I was pretty sure the 14 bolt backing plate was the same (it forsure had the same shoes). So I would guess that a 12 or 10 bolt backing plate would work as long as you get the matching drum (go with the bigger ones).

Good luck

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used 10 bolt backing plates on my 14 bolt SF with some 8 lug 11" drums and it worked out great. I had to drill out the holes in the backing plate to make the bolts fit and filled the empty spaces with silicone.

I am going to a 14 FF here shortly with discs most likely so its not like it matters anyway.

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i'm still not diggin the fact that to put the 6 lug shafts in the 8 lug housing you end up with shafts that are 1/2" too long. i think i will hold out for a good deal on a 88 and up 6 lug rear and move the pirches and spring mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif