Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" or 4"+2"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by horsepit, Jan 11, 2002.

1. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

6\" or 4\"+2\"?

It sounds like there are a lot of alignment issues when you go to a 6" lift. What is the benefit over using a 4" with a 2" body? I'm not a rock crawler, street and mud only.

1987 Blazer, TH700R4, NP208, 3.42, Rancho 4", 33"

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 6

For mud, getting the frame farther from the ground is always better. If either is an option, I'd go 6" suspension.

That said, I have a 4" suspension and I'm adding a 3" body lift. If that's not enough I'm going to put a 6 or 8" suspension lift on it. I am doing it for financial reasons. One day I might end up removing the body lift because I don't particularly care for them. Another reason I'm doing it is because I'm taking the body off and doing a frame swap anyway, so it's easy to do it now.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

Re: 6

8"? That must require a lot of mods right? What do you have to do for a 6" and what for an 8"?

1987 Blazer, 350, TH700R4, NP208, 3.42, Rancho 4", 33"

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Re: 6\" or 4\"+2\"?

Depends on how big a tire you want to run. I have 4" lift and cut out fenders, I run 36x14.5x15's on mine. Keith has 6" lift and just killed his front drive shaft, he also has 1" body lift and runs 38's I like as little lift as possible and wont use a body lift at all.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

5. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

id go with a 6". i have a 6" lift and run 35's. i think i could go a little bigger though.i had to lengthen the front and rear drive shaft, and lowered the tansfer case a little to help with angles. i disconnected the brake lines from the frame and brackets, rerouted them and let them hang.6" isnt that much more money,and in the future you could get a 3" body lift for not much and get a quick 3 more inches. its all personel preference though. just my 2 cents.

Mud! Its cool!

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

The nice thing about a body lift is that the center of gravity is not raised as much as a suspension lift. There will be trans linkage and steering issues and sometimes a grounding strap will need to be lengthened.

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest