Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" or 8" lift? Now, what tire size?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Oct 5, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

6\" or 8\" lift? Now, what tire size?

Ok, I have been talking to my "Crew Chief" about this. He's my friend and we are basically joined at the hip. He goes everywhere with me and I go everywhere with him. He's like my chief mechanic.......he turns the wrenches and I supervise with a cold beer in hand. LOL Just kidding. I help out too. Anyway, we were talking about lifts and tires. I have decided that I'm going to go with the Superlift springs, but now I see that National Tire and Wheel have 8" kits w/springs and shocks for $669 and the 6" for $569. Now the real question is, would it look stupid with 35-16-15 Boggers with an 8" lift?? I would get 36's, but they don't make them wide enough to my liking. I'll probably end up with the 6" and I'm pretty set on the tires. The reason why I'm preparing for this is because my next door neighbor(lawyer) said the insurance company is probably going to hack up the money I want. Another thing, should I ask for the $9,800 that it's worth with all the doodads on it or should I just stick with $8,000? It was appraised at $4,500 stock because of the low miles and that would make it worth about $10,000. My lawyer said that everything I put on that thing is worth money, so just figure it all up and set a price. Ok, enough of my blah. Later DOOOODS!(dudes)

PEACE

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" or 8\" lift? Now, what tire size?

Its me again. If you call National Tire and Wheel and ask what those suspension specials are more than likely they will be superlift. I got the 6" all spring special that was all superlift with 6 shocks(quad shock front end) for about 700 bucks including shipping. If i were you i would go with 8 because you will probably be like me and many others who put on 6 and sit back and say man i should have just gone 8. And 35s will be too small very, very soon. That was my situation anyway.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am running 6" Superlift Superride Front springs with Blocks and add-a-leafs in the rear.

Check out the link to my site in my sig to see pics of my Jimmy with the 6" lift adn TSL 35x15.50x15's!

I would go 6" Superride and stick with the 35's! Sorry Rebel! :)

Most of my pics are under the Canfield $wheel Jamboree links!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I agree with 101. Go with the 6 inch. Sitting on 35's it just looks mean![​IMG]

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Go 8" immediately, you'll just do it in the long run if not now. The morphisis of my Suburban went: 4", then 6", then 8" then finally bit the bullet and went 12" like I wanted to in the first place!!!

ken

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

None taken. I agree with you totally. The 35 boggers and my 6" kit are awesome right now. I love it. Nice aggressive stance and the truck just looks mean. It is just me i guess. I am already looking for more lift that, hopefully, i will have by christmas. I am a big guy i figure i need a big truck. My blazer now does everything i need it to do. Still, knock on wood, have never been hung up or stuck. I just want more man.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sort of the same here, I am going to go with 38's on my next tire purchase, but i am going to stick with my 6" lift and do more fender trimming. Of course my Jimmy is used for nothing but trailriding and the occasional parade that my club is in, so I am not worried about ooutward appearence, you can tell that by the multiple tree signitures! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

For full flex, I agree. Even with my fender hogged to the max, the 35's mashed the fenders and rubbed the cab with 6" of suspension.

But if you swap to a 4-link, the axle moves forward instead of backwards :)

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I started with a 6 inch Skyjacker lift and then I wanted to get 38's so I did. The tires fit with some trimming and then I went and threw in a 3-inch body lift. So I would go for the 8" lift because you will always want bigger and wider tires. And besides it looks sweet with a 9" lift and 38's on your rig!

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

11. BLzr4x4ngkid

Another question, do the springs keep the rear from sagging?? I know that on my last 6" lift I had 2" add-a-leafs and 4" blocks and it sagged pretty bad. I don't want it to sag at all in the rear. I don't think the springs sag, but I'm not too sure. Let me know. Thanks

p.s. Would 35's with an 8" lift look kind of stupid??

Alex

12. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say go with 6 inches. You're gonna have to go with a dropped pitman arm, dropped drag link and mayb a raised steering arm with an 8 inch lift. It also raises the center of gravity. 6 inch suspension and 35s sounds pretty good. I plan to run 38s with 6 inches of lift and do some trimming. Oh yeah, In the august 97 issue of Fourwheeler (If my memory is correct) there is a feature on a blazer with an 8 inch lift, a big block, and 35s. They don't look stupid if you get 15s, not 12.5s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

I was going to go with the 35-16-15 Boggers. That's cool. I need to dig up some of those old magazines somewhere and check out the stuff they have in them. Anyway, thanks for the info. Later.

Alex

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It WAS in the August 97 issue of Fourwheer. If i'd have a scanner I could scan it it but I don't. On the cover, there is a sweet looking mid 80's blazer with 39.5s. Its white/blue/red. The blazer I'm talking bout is an 85, has an 8 inch lift and has 35x16/15 super swampers. Its on page 54. The 35s do look a little small but not stupid, just a little small.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]