Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 pin connector questions.

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by divorced, Dec 23, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, so I have some trailers that all have the crappy 4 pin connectors that never work right. I bought some 6 pin connectors to use instead. What does the black wire do in the pic below?

I don't have trailer brakes, so I may use one of the extra pins for reverse lights, but I need to know what the black wire does, because I may put the reverse lights there.

[​IMG]

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't it say 12 volt on the diagram? I would just assume that is power.....
    for whatever you need it for. Since the rest im assuming is positive trigger (where ground is constant),
    there isn't a specific use for teh 12 volt as i see it described.

Really i don't know, just brainstorming outloud i guess

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

for 12v power to some other use in the trailer you designate it to be. and why 6 pin? most all are 4 or 7 pin that i have seen. but now it will be harder to let someone use your trailer if thay dont have a convertor unit. :D

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

THe black is 12v constant hot. It's designed mainly for an enclosed trailer. (my experience) where there will be a wall mounted toggle for lights inside or outside the trailer. This is how our sled trailer is set up. It has two rockers inside for interior lights and loading/unloading lights.

IIRC, there is no spot for reverse on a 6 pin, but I may be wrong on that. I just converted a 6 pin to 7 pin the other day and the 7 pin has a spot specifically for hot only when in reverse.

You COULD essentially convert your truck's 12v constant to a reverse light if you wanted. Obviously by disconnecting that pin and splicing into your back up lights. BUT, I normally don't recommend changing stuff around because it causes a headache when someone else uses your trailer or you use someone elses pickup. What will happen is your back up lights will be wired constant hot with a different pickup setup standard. :doah:

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

6 pin is what they had cheap at Napa in town. There are a lot of livestock trailers around here that use the 6 pin. I can buy a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter for under $10 bucks so I can still pull a 4 pin trailer, and not being able to let others use mine is a bonus :D

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, I never thought of it like that. I'll still think about it some more... reverse lights aren't really a necessity. I may wire the +12v lead as in the picture so I can use it to charge a winch battery or operate some type of cargo light on the trailer.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a trailer with two large back up lights and with the 7 pin there is a spot for reverse. I haven't really benifeted it from the lights all that much, I can still see really well around it at night.

Remember that your constant 12v is constant, even with the ignition off. So be carefull to not run your truck batteries down.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think the constant 12V is for things like charging a battery on your trailer or recharging a breakaway kit if you have one. I do not know the size of the wire but charging a battery might be excessive.

Ira

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Or you can use a Relay on the truck to shut off the 12V line when the truck is off. I'd wire in a manual override switch though incase there is a need for that line with the truck off.

10. apcon

apcon Registered Member

As someone who installs reciever hitches, goosenecks, etc. professionally the black 12V lead is for mainly trailers with electric brakes who have a breakaway kit to keep the battery charged. i have also seen many enclosed cargo trailers have their 12V interior lights either run directly to that pin to power them up off the tow vehicle or more often they're run off a automotive battery mounted in a box on the tongue of the trailer that has the charge lead off the pigtail connected to the positive post so that the battery recharges while going down the road. the charge wire will recharge a fullsize battery as most oem and aftermarket wiring installations feed 30 amps to that pin of the plug. the main difference between a 6 and 7 way plug is that the 7th pin is dedicated for backup lights.

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Agreed...The 12V circuit is to charge the breakaway battery or marine/RV batt. if you have them on a camper or winch etc. Chevy now supplies this circuit with 40A and 10ga wire in their tow packages. Just remember that it is constant 12v even with ignition off, so if you don't install a relay unplug the trailer if it will sit for more then an hour or so, or you may end up with a dead truck batt.