Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Point Cage Is In! Edited With More Pics 5/23/03

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> Adding a new post at the bottom with a link to more pics!! </font>

All I have so far is 2 pics. I need to get at priming it this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's .095 wall 1 3/4" tubing. They did a nice job of making sure I can still use things like my window crank &amp; the backseat - as a mom of 3 that is very important!! We need to take it to the frame yet. I paid $550 for this much and it will be another $150 to tie it to the frame. That is next on my list!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How about all of those spots under the truck? Eeeeek. I need to get at that front flange seal on the transfer case. For now, I'm off to scuff &amp; prime that cage! Going with <font color="red">Sunrise Red</font> for the topcoat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: 6 Point Cage Is In!

looking good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Looks real nice Andrea... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Cool beans......looks good!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Looks great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone.. now here is my dilemma. I just went &amp; prepped it and threw on a coat of Rustoleum primer. It looks to me like it could use another coat of primer but I don't know if I have to abide by directions or paint a bit sooner? See, I leave Friday morning for a weekend trip - happens to be the trip I am having my ColoradoK5 calendar picture taken... I need to either give it a coat of primer tonight after work and only have time for one coat of paint, or just go with it primered. What to do, what to do!! I thought *maybe* I can prime it again tonight, paint in the morning (but that is way sooner than the can says), and paint again tomorrow night. Maybe a fan would speed things up? It's only like 40's-50's here too /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I need some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I use rustoleum professional spray can primer on my junk and give it 30 min between coats.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've got a couple "?" for you. It's a parrent thing so "as a mom of three" you should know this is serious coming from a dad of two. How high is it from the seat bottom to the top of the cage? Also, how high from the floor to the top the cage? (I might use a Jeep back seat so seat hight would be different). Is there a reason you didn't have a rear spreader bar put in? Last one, what angle do the rear bars come down at and/or how much space between the hard top and the top of the bar where it makes its turn down. I realy like the way it does the fastback thing. I wanted to do the same but was woried about head hight issues. I know I asked a lot &amp; you said you were busy so no rush on the measurements, but if you could get them as time allows it would really be helpfull, TIA.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Looks great /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Have a good time this weekend...I wish I were going too. If Northern Wisconsin got as much rain today as we did down here, the trails should be nice and soupy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yeah, try not to test your cage this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Someone took there time to do that right, looks great!

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Re: 6 Point Cage Is In! *More Pics Added*

Webshots Album

More detailed pics have been added. I really like the rear seat accessibility and how the kickers were brought back for good rear seat coverage. I will take some measurements today if I get time. I need to get out and paint now. My floor is bad so as it sits this is just a very neat, decorative type of cage /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. My next step is to have the front 4 points tied to the frame, within the month.
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Wow, that looks great! I agree with steve and hope that ya don't have to use it this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Don't forget to take pics for us people stuck at home /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Will take pics. I added one to my Webshots just now with the first coat of red done. I love it. It probably won't show up in the album til 10:45 or so. Anyways, considering the quality of my floor in the Blazer I don't expect the cage could do much good right now! It's just a cool lookin' thing for now, til I can cough up the extra $ to tie it to the frame. Hopefully before the Memorial run.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just currious, why 0.095? IMO, that's too thin (unless it's gusseted and heat treated chro-mo) for a full size 6000 lb beast... Of course, you do have the half top support too...

16. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I was thinking .095 was kind of light also. What about a bar running across the rear tubes like this ...
    [​IMG]

I know an x brace between the hoop and bar would be ideal, but not too comfy for the people sitting in the back. Just my .02

BIGJ

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, there is no cross bracing on the main hoop either. Squares tend to fold, trinagles hold... Combined with the thin wall, not sure how much good it's going to do, but it's better than nothing...

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I would like to have some horizontal support like that, too. When I take it back to have it tied to the frame, that will be added. Since this truck is our main family vehicle also, functionality is important. Better than nothing is where it's at.

19. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Nothing wrong with wanting it to be functional. I understand the family issue too. It's definitely safer with one than without. Better than nothing is better than what I have, which is no cage at the moment :shocked

BIGJ

20. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How high is it from the seat bottom to the top of the cage?

[/ QUOTE ]

From where the passengers sit to the top of the cage is 28 1/2 inches.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, how high from the floor to the top the cage?

[/ QUOTE ]
    44 1/2

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a reason you didn't have a rear spreader bar put in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I don't really know the guy who did the cage but that concerns me. It goes back tomorrow to be tied to the frame and I want to ask about it, but I do feel uncomfortable.

[ QUOTE ]
    Last one, what angle do the rear bars come down at and/or how much space between the hard top and the top of the bar where it makes its turn down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand the question but I had him take it back some before it went down to end up in the rear corners, to provide a bit more coverage than if it went directly to the corners. I haven't had the hardtop on but it will clear. It goes under the half cab pretty snug and does hit in the corners when I am on rough terrain.

Here are some pics that I just took.

5 year old &amp; 3 year old:
    [​IMG]

Tucked up nice &amp; snug in the half cab.
    [​IMG]

7 year old.
    [​IMG]

I hope that helps!