Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" Shackle Flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TeK, Dec 13, 2006.

1. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I've seen everyone having a 4" shackle flip but does anyone make a 6" one?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Problem with a shackle flip that would net you 6" of lift you'd have to go up a long ways on that end of the spring. You'd need an additional 4" of spring hanger or shackle or combination of the two beyond the standard shackle flip arrangement. Your pinoin angle would be really hosed.

3. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

well i'm trying to come up with 20"-22" of suspension lift. I'm gona use a 4" block/spring pad mount on my 2.5 ton rocks and then use a 12" lift 52" length for a total of 16" spring lift. Then with the 4" spring pad lift have 20" total.For the rear I would like to use a 12" lift and 52" length spring with a 4" shackle flip with a 6" shackle(for better ride quality) and then the 4" spring pad lift for 20" lift total. That with a 3" body will give me a total of 23". That SHOULD clear 53" tires by about 2".Let me know what u guys think.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

lots of lift. i dont know of any company that makes 12" lift 52" springs, unless its custom. if your going to do all that why not just get like custom 16" lift springs. that spring pad lift just sounds kinda ghetto fabbed to me. jus my .02

echob flip or whatever it is nets you 6" lift i believe, do a search for it.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Or you could link it and have just as much fab and a better working suspension, plus no axle wrap:D.

Ira

6. muddybuddy

very true 4link it, but that can get very pricey very fast, but so can custom leaf springs.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

For that amount of lift, it's better to link it. You'll get the best ride quality possible for that amount of lift, eliminate axle wrap issues, have close to the same amount of fab time, and prolly close to the same cost for the lift.

8. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

well i can get 12" 52" springs for 150ea. So $600 in springs with polyurathane bushings. The spring pad rise is a weld on piece from Chucks Trucks. I can get a custom built dual traction bars front/rear for $300. So all together I'll have maybe $2500-$3000 in the lift/traction bar combo.

I could link the truck with coilovers for around $5000-$6000. Maybe after I get out of basic training and have lots of money.

9. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

picccs???

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am geussing that this will be a mud truck. 23" of lift is a lot. Are you trying to not cut the fenders? I have about 11" of lift and lots of clearance for 44's. why not put on the 3" bodylift, 12 " front springs, 8" rear springs with 4" shackle flip. Trim the fenders and see how much block you need to use on the rockwells. There was a guy on here running a set up like what you are looking to do. maybe he will chime in.

I included a pic of mine to show you how much room you can make with a cut off wheel.

dana 44 017.jpg

11. Alex_B

Alex_B Registered Member

I built a truck once with 10" lift leaf springs and the suspension was so hard that you couldn’t wear your seat belt cause it would choke ya. I doubt I had more than 1" of suspension travel.

Lift leaf springs bigger than 6" SUCK ASS and are a waste of money unless you build a show only truck. you have two options.... go with 12" leaf springs and wish you had gone with a link set up or go with a link setup.:D

12. muddybuddy

check over on pirate4x4 in the chevy section. there is a guy building a 2dr tahoe with about 20" lift with leaf springs and going to run 53's on rockwells. there are several chevy's over there running a similar setup on there. thats the best advice i can give you, see what they are running and run something similar.

13. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

holy $h!t that things gonna be tall, like 3 feet taller then my truck. I say run 6-8 inch lift and take the fenders off.:D

14. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I would definetely go with a custom spring if you want that much lift. I talked with Alcan a couple of years ago about some customer springs and they were not priced that bad.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

AHAHAHAHAHA:haha::haha::haha::haha:

You didnt really just say that did you? This suspension isnt going to move...at all:rolleyes: You might as well build solid rods to the axle it would work all the same...

16. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I really don't see what the problem is. I had a Suburban with 15" suspension lift on 44" TSLs and it rode fine.

I think I'm going to order 24" front springs and 20" rear springs with a 4" shackle flip in the rear. The fronts with be 52" length along with the rear. The truck will be a show/mud truck. It will has 53" Michs for daily/show use and 45" Turf & Fields for mud use.

I know big lift trucks that are on springs ride rough but with being 19 and getting ready to go into the Air Force I don't have alot of money. I might link the truck after my 4 years in the Air Force when I swap the engine for a 600+ cubic inch BBC.

17. muddybuddy

for not having alot of money, you're building a rig thats going to end up costing a fortune. have you figured out steering or driveshafts? those are going to be high price tag items for sure

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

don't forget about brakes. the only thing about rocks that bolt on is leaf springs. and even that is not a straight bolt on. might be a lot less work to use a 60 and 14 bolt with some 49's or smaller.

19. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I already have disc brakes for the rocks. I also already have hydro-assit just have to get a new ram(was off a D60).

The steering I'm getting for cheap because my buddy has alot of extra tubing from his old rig left over.

A D60/14B wouldn't hold up to 49s for anything in my rig.

I really don't see how this rig is going to cost a fortune. I've either traded or sold other stuff to pay for the items I'm putting in this rig. The driveshafts with be easy to do because of the NP200 and toploader combo of the rocks. The steering will also be easy. I have a custom 8" raised steering arm for the front rock and I have a 8" drop pitman arm. I should have a steering angle like that of on a 12" lifted 73-87 truck.

I've built multiple rigs before. None of em has costed alot because I've bought/sold/traded items to get stuff I wanted.

I guess you guys that don't think it'll get done will have to wait till its done.