Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 Speed Swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Anyone ever swap in a Chevy ZF S6-650 six speed? 5.79 first gear with a .73 OD gear. They were behind the 8.1L engines. Are they the standard Chevy boltpattern? Just thinking.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So am I......this same question was asked last week, but nobody seemed too interested in the topic.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

sounds dangerous and complicated Im sure, think of all the wiring and computer controlled crap that those things probably have. Just get a 700.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Greg72

5. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that sounds like a cool, useful swap. but i have no information. :confused:

sorry:laugh: :haha:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7. ARAMP1

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/ZFS-650.htm

Don't think there's much of a wiring issure. There might be clutch issues, but I think besides it fitting under the floor, the big issue would be connecting it to a transfer case. Divorced might be the way to go on this one.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

damn that is a hell of a tranny, i would love to see that, and yeah besides something rally custom and pricy devorced is the way to go!

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I will be watching this post for sure...I need something to go behind the 500ci anyway and 6 gears would be fantastic...

10. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

FYI a NV4500 5spd will bolt directly behind a Duramax so I assume the reverse will also work.I was looking at my ZF6 in my Duramax yesterday and it almost looked like a round pattern 205 would bolt to the back of it.The guys at Northwestfab told me that they can do anything as far as adapters.Might check with them on the t-case end of it.

11. ARAMP1

Well, I talked to Vic at Advance Adapters today and he said that they really dont mess with the ZF6 transmissions, but the 6 bolt round patterns of the ZF6 are the same as the NV4500. He didn't know what the spline count was. He said if it were 32 spline, it should work with the later NP205. One mating problem that the NV4500s had with the NP205s were that the respective input and output shafts were too long and Advance made an adapter for $106 that gave them enough space to work. Another issue might be mounting the clutch/pressure plate. Also, the newer trannys have an internal slave cylinder where as my SM465 has an external slave.

I found a trans in nice shape and they only want a grand for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal if I could make it work.

12. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

I found a trans in nice shape and they only want a grand for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal if I could make it work.[/quote]

if you cant make it work, and you want your money back pass it on to me. i have wanted a six speed in my blazer for a long time. in summit they are way out of my price range. after i put the 5 speed in my 66 mustang i was convinced. overdrive rules

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

If you can make that work, that would be really cool. :wink1:

Why hasnt anyone done this yet?

14. Greg72

1. SM465s are cheap
    2. ZFs and T56s aren't.
    3. Nobody has done it yet, so some sucker has to take a chance and spend all the $$$ to figure it out.
    The first guy gets the "glory" but everyone else gets to do it cheaper and easier once the solution is found.

Innovation in our hobby always starts out looking like this, however.

There was a time when people didn't run shackle flips and D60 fronts either..!!!

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool , uncharted terriotory:cool1:

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So any bets that the guy i know (greg72) who drove 11 hours and used up 40 gallons of fuel is going to be the "first guy" that gets the "glory".

17. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Let me assure you; GLORY is overrated!:D I was one of the first to replace the ZF5 speed with a ZF6 speed tranny in a pre-99 ford pick-up. I had a 97 which kept eating 5 speeds, and I finally decided to change over to 6 speed. While I don't regret the result one bit, in fact the opposite, I love it, It was quite the learning experience; and that tranny is one heavy mother when you have to stab it and remove it 3 different times till you figure out all the little differences. However on that note, I'm looking for an NV 5600 from a dodge 4x4 to put into my latest project; an 89 crew cab with a 12 valve cummins.
    Jimbo

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I "think" the rear output shaft on the GM ZF650 is the huge 1-1/2" 29 spline and there are many options on transfercases to accept that input wise. Dodge and GM have been using that size spline count for several years now on the manual tranny trucks.

From what I have learned the ZF's are good tranny's and should do well .

Tom

19. ARAMP1

So, how could I get that to connect with my 32 spline 205?

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a fyi i heard on 6 speeds. stay away from the nv5600 trannys. big problems with parts and service for them. thay lost contract for supplying them and have not made any more per say and parts are few. got this from a great 5 speed swap site. thay sell kits parts and info to swap nv4500s.

the internal slave is just a diffrent unit than external. i will try and splice my master from external to internal when i swap in a nv4500 in my truck. worst case just need to get newer master and bolt in and mod the length to fit pedel position.