Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6-speed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blasterD, Nov 18, 2003.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if a ZF 6-speed manual transmission from a 2001 Chevy c3500 with an 8.1 engine will fit an older big block? I'm sure the flywheel and clutch are different, but will the bellhousing bolt to the old chevy block? I am thinking of using this tranny with a divorced 205 and a '77 454 in my '78 k10.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do you know where you can get one?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I know the bellhousings are still the same

4. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I've got an '03 Sierra with the 8.1, 6-speed, and American Axle 14 bolt rear end. I had to special order the truck to get the manual transmission and I've been very impressed with the whole drivetrain. So much so that I would like to put the same transmission and rear axle behind a 454 in my '89 Blazer.

As far as I know, the bolt pattern at the rear of the block is the same. I don't know about starter mounting, etc. I'd be curious about how things go. Please keep us up to date.

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I found a couple on car-part.com for around $2000-2200. I think I might be able to find a local one for around 1500. It's pretty pricy but it should be pretty much bulletproof. I'm probably going to end up getting an NV4500, but if I could find a 6-speed for a decent price and it had the regular old Chevy bellhousing I would definitely run it. As far as I can tell the NV4500 is rated for 460 ft/lbs or 14000 GVW and the ZF 6-speed is rated at around 550 ft/lbs or 17500 GVW (not exactly sure on those numbers). That should be plenty for my future Big Block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also, by running a 2x4 tranny it will simplify the transfer case adapter issue. I may be able to do a divorced doubler sometime in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif