Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" susp + 3" body doesn't = clearance for 38's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Oct 7, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

6\" susp + 3\" body doesn\'t = clearance for 38\'s

Did some mild wheeling with JK5 this past Saturday. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Couple of deep water holes, and a few hills and such, not too much real axle twisting stuff. Had a great time, truck performed way better than I expected (I have no lockers yet), and met some nice people out there. Anyway, I love the grunt of the new 489 bbc, and those new 38" radial TSL's really dig well, I was impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, I didn't realize it until I washed the mud off, but both front tires contacted the bottom rear corners of the front fenders in, effectively ruining my nice newish GM sheet metal! Not that it mattered a whole lot, I just didn't want to cut and trim clean sheetmetal if I didn't have too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Guess now I'll be doing the fender trimming thing too! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

My point is... for anyone considering this lift/tire combo, and not wanting to trim fenders... if yer gonna wheel it, even mildly, expect body damage! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" susp + 3\" body doesn\'t = clearance for 38\'s

Out of curiosity, what size wheels and what backspacing are you running? Did it tear up your tires at all? I had a buddy that funked up his fenders and ripped a few lugs off of his swampers, OUCH /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

15x10 wheels, 3.5" bs, and there is a gash on the sidewall about a foot long by 1/4" deep. I think the gash was done by something else, not the fenders. I didn't see any lugs ripped off. I guess that tire will be the designated spare!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I cut into the outer lugs on my tires a bit from where they whacked the hell out of my fenders. 6 and 3 is nowhere near enough lift to fit 38s without cutting. That's why I cut my fenders like this:

[​IMG]

Roomier now. Even went wheelin and no fender interference issues.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i don't have much more trimming than you and i have only 2.5in lift and 38's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, but your 38s are only 13" wide and on 6.5" wide wheels. Mine are 16" wide and on 10" wide wheels.

Even so, I've seriously considered removing the body lift. I probably will because I'm going to end up swapping cabs.

I finally grew some balls and got the sawzall out. My fenders are so roomy now that I simply don't need the body lift.

I might keep it just so I can run 44s though.

7. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

take off the body lift and hack the fenders, you'll have a lower center of gravity and you'll be better off in the long run. you're going to smash your fenders to crap anyways right? if you take your time and plan it out it can look really good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, like mine, you can cut your fenders and have it look good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think 6" is enough lift for 38s without firewall interference though.

9. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    check my sig, i know for a fact that it is enough. my bro runs a 4+3 and he clears 44's

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey you know an excellent body man.. Get him to trim them fenders and graft the lip back on so they're trimmed and ya cant tell! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I use to run 39.5 TSL's on 8" wide 3.5 Back Spacing rims on a 6" superlift only with very minimal fender trimming and it only rubbed during very crossed up wheeeling (so crossed up that it broke the latches on the tailgate ) and there just as wide as your 38's

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The width does make a big difference, but I am running 38x13 TSL's on 10" wide rims with only a 4" lift and trimmed fenders. There's not much room left between the tire and firewall but it does clear with fairly flexy springs and a swaybar disconnect.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm..my trucks going to have an 8" soon..(4" suspension w/ ord blocks up front and add a leafs in back..(using blocks) and a 3" body) whats a good size tire for that? i was thinking 36's..i dont wanna cut my fenders..but if i have to i would cause my body isnt that great now

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hack them fenders... my 39.5s fit fine under 5" of lift.

j

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hummmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I think I know when YOU got'm....

[​IMG]

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Now here is where I dont get it...
    I have 4" suspension, a 3/4 'zero rate' leafs front and back, 2 extra leaves in the rear packs, and custom spring perches for about 1/2" in the back as well as a 3" body lift. I have 35x15.50-15 TSL SXs on 15x10 white spokes. My fenders are trimmed not a lot, but about 3" worth at the back to the inner. I still rub those dang tires when she is compressed and the tires arent perfectly straight. They dont touch by much any more, but I can still get em to rub the lugs slightly. Unless you guys are running huge bumpstops and not letting the springs compress, I dont know how you can do it!

Mike

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. See? 7" of lift and his 35s still rub! I have 9" and my 38s are free and clear now, but I know I could get them to rub if I flexed like some of you guys do.

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

its all in the rim i have stock back spacing so i don't have deep dish rims my tires stay inside the fenders and allow them to tuck right up and in without rubbing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

bryguy00b, 36's would probably work for you, in fact, I considered using them, but 38's weren't that much more money, and I wanted more clearance under that big old D60 pumpkin in the front!

jekbrown, I'm planning on trimming now!

JK5-good photo shot, but I think I smashed my fenders in when I descended that nearly vertical hill with a dip in the middle of it. I heard and felt something that time, and all the weight of my truck was on the front springs then!

Mudjunkie-shoulda been there dude!

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif trimming is one of my fav mods.. it can really help offroad performance and (assuming you have the tools) its free. Sorta fun to do to once you do it a few times and get used to it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j