Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" Suspension lift kits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 3, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6\" Suspension lift kits

Okay, I need to get a lift. I can't aford a exspencive one, so what would you recomened for a cheaper brand ???? I will NOT use blocks, it's gotta be all springs. I was looking at Rough Country. I need to do this pretty soon, my stock front springs are in real bad shape, and I'm almost too scared to drive it the way it is.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" Suspension lift kits

define cheap? What are you looking for in terms of flex and ride? If you are interested I know Ken's 4x4 here in the cities has some excellent prices and they can drop ship to you from the manufacturer. Otherwise I maybe can pick them up for you and orange to have them sent out your way by someone. Here is the link... http://www.kens4x4inc.com/

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I mostly want to use the Blazer for trails out in the Black Hills National Forest. I'm not into the rock crawling. I will also be using the Blazer as my daily driver. I'm on a limited budjet, so I really can't aford the more exspencive lift kits. I've got it parked till I can get it lifted, the front left (stock) spring is in really bad condition. I'll post some pics as soon as I get my digital camera. It's suposta be here on the 6th acording to UPS.

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

depending on your needs. you could go with a genuine suspension form 4wpw. very inexpensive and a nice kit. Or step up a bit and get the superlift kit or super lift super ride kit. Last but not least is the skjacker kit. All of them will do a nice job. I am stuck on superlift just because it is such a great product ot sell and warranty. I have never had a problem with superlift products

5. CaptCrunch

if you want cheap... go with a 4" lift. Much less work and drivetrain mods to make it all work. Get 6" rear springs and 4" front to avoid the rear sag problem. That hopefully will allow you to keep your stock drive train if you lower your tcase, if not you are probably looking at needing longer driveshafts for sure.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i also want a 6" lift, but i dont want to have to modify the drive shafts or other stuff. How bad would it be with stock shafts?

NITRO

7. CaptCrunch

depends on your setup... if you have a slip yoke style tcase you will almost for sure need longer front and rear driveshafts or a longer rear and a d-shaft spacer up front. With a fixed youke you might be ok for a few street runs, but if you want any flex at all it will probably limit you big time and max out easily off-road. Rule of thumb is for not many mods go with a 4" lift, drop your tcase and shim each axle till you vibe is fixed. You can fit 35's with a bit of fender triming up front. Don't think you even need to touch the rears.

If you go shackle flip... seems like a lot of guys have vibe issues afterwards that need a CV shaft in the rear to clear up

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really want to go 6" becouse of the tires I'll be using.

9. CaptCrunch

Well not sure what your plans are on tires, but look at the UAV. About 5" of lift if that and running 38's... soon to be 39.5's and a sweet looking rig to boot. I would follow that as a model.

I mean as soon as you go six inches you simply need more travel of your driveshafts for flex. I would go 4" of lift if I was doing this all over again cuase the six has been kinda a hassle, but not too incredabily bad... just more expensive. People commonly think lift will give them ground clearence, which isn't true. Tires give you ground clearence under your axles which is what you ultimately need. Lift is for clearence from the body to the ground and to the tires. You can cut the fender to accept your tires, then an inch or two does seem to make a big difference on the body hitting stuff. Get some slidders and be done with it. Drag them over anything.

I'm mean 6" is nice, but trying to run a 6" lift without the right mods is kinda like going to McDonald's and saying you want a large shake, but only wanna pay for a small. Needless to say it isn't gonna happen or it is gonna not be what you want in the end like when they put a small shake in a large glass and take a leak on it to fill the rest up LOL :P

Generally with going to a 6" lift over a 4" lift you need a drop pitman arm which costs about 100 bucks, definetly need longer brakes lines rather then the drop brackets which you can get away with on a 4" which also run about 100 bucks for the SS lines. Then your driveshaft mods.

10. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

the mods you should do is a pitman arm for steering geometry, brake lines on some need to be lengthend. I ran stocks up to my 10" lift actually. you do need to lengthen your rear drive line. My front was fine with my 203. If you go rear springs expect to lose alot of flex as the factory springs are really flexy. You will also have to lower your swaybar with a 6" and sometimes a t case lowering kit is a good idea. Most 6" kits come with everything you need to do it except the brake lines. My first lift on my blazer was a 6" superride lift and I ran 36's and then 38's. it was close so I did a 3" body lift to clear the 38's

11. CaptCrunch

BK has a fixed yoke so he knows a little more on the fixed yoke side of things.

I wonder if there is a difference in brakeline length on different years cause my 87 would of busted the stocks lines in two if I flex on a speed bump LOL.

Sway Bar mod is something I forgot about, but I have to recomend the ORD disconnects since I did a drop on my sway bar with an additional kit that I had to purchase and it kinda irked things up... the ord's cominbed with a inch spacer have everything real nice.

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

A 203 is a slip yoke right?

NTIRO

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know I'm gonna have to spend some money to do it right, I'm just trying not to spend more then I need too. Anyone got a estament on what the 6" lift will cost if done correctly (not including tires)

14. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I too am interested in what a 6 inch lift would cost to do it right.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

SKYC160AK 73-87 6" 4wd $472.95 From 4wdw !!!!! Now that's in my price range. Yes, I know I'll still need to get some components, but this is what I was looking for. Thanks for the information. 4wdw even has free shipping !!!! Looks like I'll be going with Skyjacker.

16. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Is that all spring?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No. All 203s are fixed yoke. A 208 or 241 is always fixed yoke. 205s are either-or, depending on year (older than '80, fixed '80 or newer, slip)

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I do belive so, but I'll call 4wdw monday to make sure.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What can ya tell me about SKYC160AK from Skyjacker ????? Someone said you work at 4wdw.

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....For that price I would really think that it's springs/blocks. Another thing to keep in mind is new shocks. Some kits come with them, some don't. On my truck I have kinda a hodge podge of stuff. Got it all pretty cheap too. Paid $100 bucks for the front springs, rear blocks, set of stock springs with a 2 inch add a leaf, 2" body lift, (Not installed yet)and a like new front to back carpet set. Bought a steering arm from Super Lift...Like $50 I think. Rancho 5000 shocks, $39.95 ea. and an Energy Suspension bushing kit for the front spings, another $50. I'd guess I have about $350 or so into my set-up. One of these days I'm gonna fab up a shckel flip for the rear and get rid of the blocks. Moral of the story is that you can get stuff cheap if ya hunt around a bit.